Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Polish Airborne Enthusiast Saying hello!

Article about: just wanted to say hey to everyone, Am a living historian, doing a variety of things, like doing research and reading etc. General enthusiast, especially with the Polish Airborne forces, pri

?

Default Re: Polish Airborne Enthusiast Saying hello!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Found it :

136,500 of these were produced, all by Alfred Stanley & Sons Ltd, Walsall. Contract dates 29/1/44 to 18/6/44.

Cheers, Ade.
    Ade
    That seems like a big number, considering the Polish Free Forces in total numbered 250,000. Do you know if that is total production number of plastic eagles? As you know there were various variants..this one, the plain one, then the 12PU, the PAF one..and maybe there were others I dont know about. Where does this information come from?
    Thanks

Quote by dorava View Post
    Ade
    . . . Do you know if that is total production number of plastic eagles? . . . Where does this information come from?
    According to the Zawistowski reference "Polskie orły do czapek w latach 1939-1945", this is the total amount of all the plastic eagle types made by A. Stanley & Sons over several separate production contracts. The production runs commenced in January 1944 and ended June 1946. Zawistowski cites "Polskie Siły Zbrojne w II wojnie światowej" (Polish Armed Forces in the Second World War) London 1959, book 2 part 1 page 39 as his source.

Ade
    . . . As you know there were various variants..this one, the plain one, then the 12PU, the PAF one..and maybe there were others I dont know about.
    Yes, there was one other - 6850 eagles made for the Polish Women's Auxiliary Air Force in 1946. I’ve yet to see one of these. Anyone here have one that they can post?

Regards,
    Tony

PS Pictured below is Piotr Wybraniec of the 1SBS with a plastic Stanley & Sons eagle on his beret.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Airborne Enthusiast Saying hello!  

?

very helpful
    thanks!!

still seems like an awful lot of those plastic eagles!
    actually seems like a huge number...
    maybe there is still a pile in storage in some warehouse

. . . still seems like an awful lot of those plastic eagles!
    actually seems like a huge number...
    I agree, it does seem like disproportionately large number.

. . . maybe there is still a pile in storage in some warehouse
    And when found maybe we’ll see a bunch of unissued plastic eagles just like the fresh looking 2nd Corps Lorioli made badges that are all over the market.

T.

Good having You Mark
    A

Quote by mark_palmer17 View Post
    just wanted to say hey to everyone, Am a living historian, doing a variety of things, like doing research and reading etc. General enthusiast, especially with the Polish Airborne forces, pride of place currently is my newest purchase:-

Thanks

Mark P.

There was another one on ebay buy it now for about 35 quid, which got snapped up by someone (Probably one of you lot! I knew I should've had it straight away) Plastic cap badges is one of my personal fav's collecting wise

Hello Mark and the Others!

I am glad that you are another enthusiast of Polish Airborne!

Polish Airborne and Special Forces topic is also my area of interest and collecting - history but mainly insignia and related items (certificates, award documents, portrait photos, etc).

I am interested in a whole period - since 30-ties of XX century till now.
    It includes:
    - 1935 - 1939 period - LOPP and Military Parachute Center
    - 1941 - 1947 period - Polish Army in Exile
    - 1943 - 1989 period - Polish Peoples Army
    - since 1989 - Polish Army

Greetings
    Rafal

Hello Tony,

Concerning Zawistowski's book - the photo doesn't show Piotr Wybraniec from 1st SBS!
    The photo comes from collection of Piotr Wybraniec! I sent a scan to Zawistowski for his book (with permission of Piotr of course).

Another matter with plastic eagles:
    I don't know why but this eagle is being widely linked up with Polish Para Brigade (different publications, forums, etc).

For me it is obvious that the most popular eagle in 1SBS was Canadian made (early period) and similar made by Gaunt (later).

Plastic eagles and different overseas cap eagles appear in late period of Brigade's existance - prior and during occupational duty in Germany.
    Probably it was connected with a fact that many ex-POW, etc. joined the Brigade and there was no stock of standard eagle badges. Every available was in use.

I know that plastic eagle looks nice together with a grey beret! :-)

Greetings
    Rafal

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    According to the Zawistowski reference "Polskie orły do czapek w latach 1939-1945", this is the total amount of all the plastic eagle types made by A. Stanley & Sons over several separate production contracts. The production runs commenced in January 1944 and ended June 1946. Zawistowski cites "Polskie Siły Zbrojne w II wojnie światowej" (Polish Armed Forces in the Second World War) London 1959, book 2 part 1 page 39 as his source.

Yes, there was one other - 6850 eagles made for the Polish Women's Auxiliary Air Force in 1946. I’ve yet to see one of these. Anyone here have one that they can post?

Regards,
    Tony

PS Pictured below is Piotr Wybraniec of the 1SBS with a plastic Stanley & Sons eagle on his beret.

3mk
    ?

Polish Reenactors Message Board - Login

Look at this page it has alot of items from the blue army.

3mk
    ?

Sorry wrong thread

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast