Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Polish American WWI medal grouping

Article about: I was fortunate enough to uncover a box of medals today at a local estate in the US. Unfortunately i cant read Polish! It appears the Vet was attached to Hallers Army. Any info on the medals

Default Polish American WWI medal grouping

I was fortunate enough to uncover a box of medals today at a local estate in the US. Unfortunately i cant read Polish! It appears the Vet was attached to Hallers Army. Any info on the medals would be appreciated, i can add better pics later if needed.

thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish American WWI medal grouping   Polish American WWI medal grouping  

Polish American WWI medal grouping   Polish American WWI medal grouping  

Default Re: Polish American WWI medal grouping

hi, better pictures would help.

Hi Jaybone,

Nice find! Pics are a bit weak, but they’re sufficiently clear to provide an ID on several of the items - posted below. The “Legions Across the Ocean” is a rare and valuable badge. A couple of those hat eagles also appear like scarce variants. Please post some pics of front and back preferably taken under natural outdoor light.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish American WWI medal grouping  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thanks for the info guys, here are some better pics. There is a bunch of papers in the box too, i have taken some pictures of that. I do have the Vets last name and location of where i found it, I would rather not post that on the public forum, but if someone thinks it can help lend provenance to the group, or help establish value, let me know via PM. Thanks!

There is a wooden piece in there, it appears to be some sort of trench art?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish American WWI medal grouping   Polish American WWI medal grouping  

a few more pics. If needed i can take pics of the backs, just tell me which ones to do!

one more pic, a lot of the documents have "YMCA" on them, and these pins were in the box too.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish American WWI medal grouping  

Hi again Jaybone,

The original owner of these pieces was also involved in the Polish Falcons of America, a patriotic fraternal organization that supported the regaining of Polish independence. He also had connections to the Polish YMCA. That carved wooden item with the edelweiss flower is a souvenir from the southern Polish ski resort town of Zakopane located at the base of the Tatra Mountains. Posted below is a picture showing a Blue Army volunteer from Unite States with the "Armia Polska" hat badge.

Once again, a very nice find! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Regards,
    Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish American WWI medal grouping  Polish American WWI medal grouping 
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Thanks for the info Tony!

If anyone wants to see up close shots on the items, front and back, they are here:

Any idea what these medals are? I think we have everything identified except them.

Hi again Jay,

The one with the bird in flight has some text indicating that it commemorates a convention of the Polish Falcons of America for a conference held in April 1917.

The small round one appears to have the words “Polish City . . .” (out of focus and can’t make the rest out), so I am assuming some sort of souvenir tourist pin.

Lastly is a General Haller Blue Army commemorative medal of some sort. There were many such pieces made. I’ve seen this one before but would need to dig through some references for more specifics.

Regards,
    Tony