Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Polish bayonet Wz. 71/98...

Article about: Hi Mike, That's pretty much what Tomasz posted on his old web site. Best regards, Len

?

Default Re: Polish bayonet Wz. 71/98...

Hi Mike,
    That's pretty much what Tomasz posted on his old web site.

Best regards,
    Len

Quote by len s View Post
    Hi Mike,
    That's pretty much what Tomasz posted on his old web site.

Best regards,
    Len
    There was a bit more on the previous page but for the life of me I can remember how I was able to copy it from the pdf file. Somehow I managed to make the one I posted into a png or jpg file then uploaded it as a photo.

I'm too tired from translating the Polish comments to tackle the French one. Anyone want to give it a go?

Len - thanks for posting the thread in the first place. I'm thinking that the wz.71/98 bayonet might be the first bayonet manufactured by the newly independent 2nd Republic. I know some might disagree as its cobbed together from German bayonet parts but considering that I believe the Poles used S 98/05 bayonets acquired from Germany which became the wz.98 bayonet then started manufacturing the wz.22, I think a case can be made for the wz.71/98. It was purpose built.

Do you know of any other early bayonets modified by the Poles?

All the best and congrats on your excellent find!

?

Quote by dastier View Post
    ...Do you know of any other early bayonets modified by the Poles?

All the best and congrats on your excellent find!
    Hi Mike,
    I'm not aware of any foreign bayonets that the Poles remanufactured to the extent these were. It probably only made sense given the dire situation the Poles faced in the war with the Soviet Union. Post war it wasn't economically practical to continue the program. Polish militaria is interesting to say the least!

Best regards,
    Len

Quote by len s View Post
    Hi Mike,
    I'm not aware of any foreign bayonets that the Poles remanufactured to the extent these were. It probably only made sense given the dire situation the Poles faced in the war with the Soviet Union. Post war it wasn't economically practical to continue the program. Polish militaria is interesting to say the least!

Best regards,
    Len
    Yes probably just a 'wartime expediency' when the Poles were either fighting the Bolsheviks or the Freikorps in Silesia. Just speculating but the Poles may have captured stores of the S 1871 bayonet in what was the German partitioned area of Poland or from surrendering Imperial German troops. Perhaps even Poles that fought with the Polnische Wehrmacht might have been so equipped.

The Wojsko Polskie must have wanted to make them useable on Gewehr 98, Karabiner 98a or Kar98AZ rifles. Once they either obtained enough S 98/05 bayonets from the Weimar Republic (or other sources) or manufactured Mauser type bayonets locally then I suspect the conversion ended.

Hello, does anyone know any information about the Reserve Infantry Regiment 233, Company K? I have a German 1871/98 with regimental markings.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	545211   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	276 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	545212  

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	155 
Size:	221.5 KB 
ID:	545213  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12