Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polish Eagle Ashtray marked Zinn Fein

Article about: Found this ashtray and wonder what period it is from being pewter and marked Zinn Fein. My research leads to pre-1918, due the use of German and shape of the eagle. Any feedback is appreciat

Default Polish Eagle Ashtray marked Zinn Fein

Found this ashtray and wonder what period it is from being pewter and marked Zinn Fein.
    My research leads to pre-1918, due the use of German and shape of the eagle.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Eagle Ashtray marked Zinn Fein   Polish Eagle Ashtray marked Zinn Fein  

That style of eagle narrows the date down to between 1916-1918!..

?

"Zin Fein" probably clean/pure tin [Sn]. Eagle is Germany

Thanks - the eagle is not the standard type but it does look like WWI period variation Polish eagle. I got the feeling it could be german eagle but it doesnt look right to me as it appears to be variation of that as well.

Polish Eagle Ashtray marked Zinn Fein
    This was The Polish eagle used between 1916 and 1918. very similar to the one on the ashtray but lacking the laurel wreath!...

Possibly made by the Germans for the Polish Legions serving under the Germans before 1918.

Here is another find Polish eagle with Coat of arms of the January Uprising
    (1863) - Poland, Lithuania and Ruthenia (today Ukraine).
    It was brought from Italy by the US soldier after WWII.
    This could be an interesting piece once I have it for inspection in my hands.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Eagle Ashtray marked Zinn Fein  
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Eagle Ashtray marked Zinn Fein 

So the eagle on the original ashtray is a symbol of short-lived Kingdom of Poland - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdo...nd_(1916–18)

It was also used on the Polish Mark used from 1916 to 1924, first on the German occupied Polish territories and then by the independent Poland until Polish Zloty was introduced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_marka

So, it is a German made piece, probably in occupied Poland from 1916 to 1918 or possibly later if forms were used after 1918.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Eagle Ashtray marked Zinn Fein   Polish Eagle Ashtray marked Zinn Fein  

Quote by meyle77 View Post
    So the eagle on the original ashtray is a symbol of short-lived Kingdom of Poland - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdo...nd_(1916–18)

It was also used on the Polish Mark used from 1916 to 1924, first on the German occupied Polish territories and then by the independent Poland until Polish Zloty was introduced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_marka

So, it is a German made piece, probably in occupied Poland from 1916 to 1918 or possibly later if forms were used after 1918.
    I agree with what you are saying, it was pretty much a German controlled puppet state!..

It ends up, it is a Tirolian eagle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast