Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polish Mounted Divisions at start of WW2

Article about: Hi Thankyou for all the replies I now have the link kindly provided by Cenowski which mentions Operational Group Bielsko but now I also found this: Army "Cracow" The commander - Ma

Default Polish Mounted Divisions at start of WW2

Hi everyone

Quite a while since I posted here but I have still been lurking!

I have posted a few treads in the past with some of my grandfathers army things and some photos showing member of my family during the war.

I recenty saw my great auntie from Poland and she was telling me a story (which was been translated to ne by my cousin) about her uncle (so thats my great great uncle!)

She told me that he was a Captain in the Polish army at the start of WW2 and he was one of the soldiers who went up against the German tanks during the first days of the war. Now I know its a long shot but I wondered if anybody knows anything about this mine. His surname was Krawczyk and I believe she said his first name was Wladek (my grandfather was called Wlodzimierz and they called him Wladek also so maybe a my great great uncle was called Wlodzimierz Krawczyk too).

Real long shot I know but maybe there is something out there about him seen as I assume Captain was quite a senior rank.

Anyways, many thanks in advance for any info anybody may have.

Rich

Default Re: Polish Mounted Divisions at start of WW2

hi richard, if you mean he rode a horse into battle against german tanks,thats a myth, they were not stupid people.it was just a good propaganda story.harry.

Hi Harry

Dont think she meant literraly as like you say that would be an instant death wish.

I think she was referring to him been there during those first few days of battle and he happened to be in one of the mounted divisions.

Would a Captain be right on the front line anyway or would they of been further back helping to coorinate?

Captains would be in the thick of it, its not that senior a rank. If he was in a Mountain regiment such as the Podhale Rifles or the 21st Mountain Infantry and 22nd Mountain Infantry Divisions, then I'd check where these troops were deployed in 1939 and go from there. BTW this would be better posted in the 2nd Republic forum if you want to discuss actions in 1939.

Do you know if he made it to the west? Surviving Polish mountain troops were deployed in Norway in 1940 as the Polish Independent Highland Brigade and later fought in France.

Good luck.

I think there has been a confusion, Richard said mounted in which i things he means Mounted Cavalry and not Mountain troops. I think as a Captain he might have some info on the net but if not it will all be in the Polish Military Archives.

Władek, is also used as short for Władysław, so it is possible his name is Władysław Krawczyk

Hi Cenowski

You are right, by mounted I did in fact mean mounted cavalery.

Now you have mention Wladek is also short for Wladtslaw I remember that is correct, his name was in fact Wladyslaw Krawczyk

Many Thanks
    Richard

Sorry, I don't know why I read mountain when you wrote mounted. Tired I suppose when I replied.

The only Władysław Krawczyk that i can find on text by standard search with a high rank was Ppłk Dypl. Władysław Krawczyk a chief of staff in the Operational Group "Bielsko" in 1939.

The 10 Motorized Cavarly Division of Generał Maczek was part of this operational group, and they did go up against german tanks in the opening days, so maybe he was something to do with this, and as was called Cavalry maybe when translated this is where it has come from.

Do you have any pictures at all?

Grupa Operacyjna Bielsko

Quote by dastier View Post
    Sorry, I don't know why I read mountain when you wrote mounted. Tired I suppose when I replied.
    don't worry, i was tired when i wrote it so maybe didnt explain very well

i see your in winnipeg, my cousin from Poland moved to Canada and is now living in Winnipeg

- - Updated - -

Quote by Cenowski View Post
    The only Władysław Krawczyk that i can find on text by standard search with a high rank was Ppłk Dypl. Władysław Krawczyk a chief of staff in the Operational Group "Bielsko" in 1939.

The 10 Motorized Cavarly Division of Generał Maczek was part of this operational group, and they did go up against german tanks in the opening days, so maybe he was something to do with this, and as was called Cavalry maybe when translated this is where it has come from.

Do you have any pictures at all?

Grupa Operacyjna Bielsko
    Hi Cenowski

Thanks for that info, i guess the story I was told and the fact that the names match up do probably confirm that this would be by great uncle although I guess we will never be 100% definate.

I do have lots of photos but I don't know what Wladyslaw looked like so would be unable to identify him. I will ask about in the family and see if I can track any down.

I also found this Wrzesie?'39. Wojsko Polskie. Armia "Kraków" which mentions him and tells a brief story of that group of soldiers in the first days of the war

He is mentioned in this document (or somebody by the same name) http://www.s-sess.kr.edus.si/2005200...szgodovina.pdf

and also an extract about him here
    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...vhknmUyKOnBQjg

which says...

„...Nastał zmrok. Niemcy cofnęli się na Bardaczów. Skoczy¬łem wieczór do m.p. dowódcy dywizji do Cześnik po ewent. rozkazy. Powiedziano mi, że jest w folwarku Horyszów. Poje¬chałem tam i widziałem tam moment, gdy dwaj oficerowie nie¬mieccy wsiadali do samochodu eskortowani przez naszego płk dypl. Krawczyk Władysława. Samochód miał białą chorągiew.
    Otóż jak mnie objaśnił gen. Olbrycht, byli to parlamentariusze niemieccy, by namówić nas do poddania się. Dostali odmowę od gen. Dęba i właśnie wsiadali do samochodów, by odjechać. Opowiedział mi przy tym, że ppłk Krawczyk miał list podpisany przez gen. Monda, żeby się już nie bić, bo jest to bezcelowe i że należy kapitulować

Best Wishes
    Richard

?

In Rocznik Oficerski 1932 there is one Władysław Krawczyk. He is listed on 170th position among professional infantry captains.
    Krawczyk Władysław II. (23.2.1897), dypl. KN, 2 KW, KZ. sr., W. S. Woj.
    He is also on the list of officers of Wyższa Szkoła Wojenna (abbreviated to W .S .Woj.), so he was a military academical lecturer then. Decorations/orders: Cross of Independence (Krzyż Niepodległości, KN), Cross of Valour awarded 2 times (Krzyż Walecznych, KW), silver Cross of Merit (KZ. sr.).

So this Władysław Krawczyk was an infantry officer with diploma, not a cavalry man.

Not sure if it helps...
    MJU

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast