Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Polish prewar helmet liners and paint colour

Article about: Hi. I'm attempting to recreate a Polish M16/M17 helmet as used by the 10th Motorized Cavalry Brigade (the Black Brigade). This was the only functional Polish mechanized brigade in 1939 and w

Default Re: Polish prewar helmet liners and paint colour

The pattern was only one in 1939 - wz.36. Differences betwen the museum and outside photos are caused by different sizes mostly. One is a bit bigger, the other too short. Here is how it looked like:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1b.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	284635

Default Re: Polish prewar helmet liners and paint colour

Thanks Pat. Do you know if the drawings are to scale? If so I can work out proportions from it. I can see that there are only two outside slash pockets. Do you know the number and arrangement of the buttons and whether or not they were inscribed with the Polish Eagle as on uniforms? Is there an inside map pocket for instance? Also what kind of material is used for the collar? Cotton? Wool? What kind of stamps or markings would be on the liner? Brass buckles or some other metal? Number of belt loops?

Apologies for asking a lot of questions. (FYI - I have a book on Finnish uniforms and it is very specific on the uniform changes - was hoping there might be something similar for Polish uniforms.)

I think this should be discussed in a separate thread on leather coats of the 10th BK though - there is potential for interested parties to miss this info as its in a helmet thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12