Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Polish prewar military motorcycle: Sokol 1000 - with photo.

Article about: Hi. Here is a photo of the prewar Polish Sokol 1000 motorcycle in military trim. It was used by, amongst others, the Reconnaissance Battalion of the 10th Cavalry Brigade (the Black Brigade).

Default Polish prewar military motorcycle: Sokol 1000 - with photo.

Hi. Here is a photo of the prewar Polish Sokol 1000 motorcycle in military trim. It was used by, amongst others, the Reconnaissance Battalion of the 10th Cavalry Brigade (the Black Brigade). It was supposedly very reliable although outdated. My father rode one of these in the prewar Polish Army.

I suspect these would be nearly impossible to find and expensive to buy and run. What I'd like to know is which American bike of that era would closely match it? According to Wikipedia, the Polish Army used Harley Davidsons for a time and this design was based on the Harley with a copy of an Indian engine. Thanks.

Default Re: Polish prewar military motorcycle: Sokol 1000 - with photo.

Beautiful machines. Some of them are still existing in Poland (around 50-80 i think) and all over the world. Many are fully restored and in working condition. Check YouTube ... there is a plenty of video with Sokol 1000 and Sokol 600. They appear of course on auctions and it is possible to buy them but the prices are veeeeeeery veeeeery high.

Agreed, these are beautiful bikes. I would love to own one.

Cheers,
    T.
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Polish competition to Indian or early Harley :-)
    Amazing bikes and very well made.

Here's a photo of the Sokol 1000 with a Browning MMG on a pedestal in the sidecar.
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish prewar military motorcycle: Sokol  1000 - with photo.