MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Polish Relative - Any Information!

Article about: Hi! I am trying to find out anything I can about a relative that was born and / or lived in Tarnow, Poland around the turn of the century. His name is Oleg Geminder and I know precious littl

Default Polish Relative - Any Information!

Hi! I am trying to find out anything I can about a relative that was born and / or lived in Tarnow, Poland around the turn of the century. His name is Oleg Geminder and I know precious little about him. All I have is his photo. He was in Czechoslovakia in 1917-18. I have tried to do a bit of research but always a dead end. Cannot even find birth statistics. I think that it is possible his first name may be a nickname as I read somewhere that this was common for certain first names at the time. I did find reference to a few Geminders but never from this time period nor his area. Anyone? I am really trying to find out anything at all!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Relative - Any Information!  

Default Re: Polish Relative - Any Information!

Your relative appears to be wearing an Austro-Hungarian uniform. You may want to check respective Austro-Hungary military archives in Vienna and Prague for any mention of him.

Can you post a higher resolution image of his collar rank? What does the item above and towards the back on the patch look like?

Also if you could judge what the colour of his sword knot might be and any stripes or piping in the photograph. I can see something on his lower left sleeve but I don't know Austrian uniforms well enough to judge if that is a rank device or just how the sleeve was tailored.

Here's a link for a place to start: Austro-Hungarian Army Records
    Last edited by dastier; 07-22-2013 at 05:18 AM. Reason: added web blog link

Default Re: Polish Relative - Any Information!

Hello Searching,

Welcome to the forum, the only Geminder that I could find was an Izydor Geminder born 23rd August 1893 he was a Porucznik (Lieutenant Reserve) in the 12pp. he is listed in the 1923 Rocznik Oficerski (Officers Yearbook) and also in the 1934 Reserve Officers Yearbook in 1934 he was living in Krakow.

I also looked through the 1917 Legion Officer list but could not find a Geminder.

Sorry that I can not help you further with your search.

Best wishes

Andrzejku