Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Polish September Campaign thread

Article about: Hey guys This thread is deticated to the Poles that served in the September campaign (My Great Uncle fought in it),so please post any Pictures stories or items relating to the September Camp

3mk
    ?

Default Polish September Campaign thread

Hey guys
    This thread is deticated to the Poles that served in the September campaign (My Great Uncle fought in it),so please post any Pictures stories or items relating to the September Campaign.

P.s Ill post more pictures soon as most of my pictures are on my other computer.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish September Campaign thread   Polish September Campaign thread  

Polish September Campaign thread   Polish September Campaign thread  

Attached Images Attached Images Polish September Campaign thread 

3mk
    ?

Default Re: Polish September Campaign thread

More
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish September Campaign thread   Polish September Campaign thread  

Good idea for a thread Emil.

Here's a rare original mobilization poster, dated Thursday August 31 - the day before it all started.

On August 29, 1939 general mobilization was declared only to be cancelled due to pressure from the French and British not to provoke Hitler. Mobilization was re-declared 24 hours later to protests from both the French and British who continued to choose to ignore the German army massing on the north, west and southern Polish borders along with the escalating agressive anti-Polish rhetoric coming out of Berlin.

In the period photo posted below it appears that the date sections of the poster have been blacked out. Perhaps this is the result of the cancelled general mobilization - ??

This poster was found in Austria and was possibly a "September souvenir" torn off a wall by a soldier of the invading army. There is something special about surviving ephemera, and this is easily one of my favorite items, positively dripping with history.

Regards,
    Tony

3mk
    ?

Indeed I love posters from 1939 sadly theres barely any originals,
    All Germans in these photos are POWs

Emil, Very interesting photographs. Where are these taken from? Are there more?

T.

3mk
    ?

Hey Tony these photos were taking by an American during 1939,Yes there are more,But sadly I lost the website they were on
    But I did save a couple more from that website but there on my other computer so Ill post them soon in the mean time here are some more,They were taken off a Polish site
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish September Campaign thread  Polish September Campaign thread 

3mk
    ?

Polish motorized division in wz.16 helmets and in Polish leather coats

3mk
    ?

3mk
    ?

Maybe the date on the post was blacked out because German spies were around?I heard that there were lots of German spies in Polish cities a couple of days before Germany attacked to see what was happening,Most of them got caught but some didnt.

“Popular history” of WW2 and the Blitzkrieg generally shines the spotlight on the Poles and their poor showing against the Germans. This regularly overshadows the romp the Germans had over the French. The following except from a period publication compares the two German campaigns and succinctly illustrates that the Poles did in fact perform relatively well considering the circumstances.

T.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish September Campaign thread  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast