Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Polish "Szabla" Wz.1934

Article about: Hi guys, I acquired this sword last week from an estate. The previous owner had liberally slathered the piece with cosmoline. It was messy but it kept the blade in great shape. Does anyone k

?

Default Polish "Szabla" Wz.1934

Hi guys,
    I acquired this sword last week from an estate. The previous owner had liberally slathered the piece with cosmoline. It was messy but it kept the blade in great shape. Does anyone know the highest alpha prefix and serial # recorded for this model? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Len

Default Re: Polish "Szabla" Wz.1934

Hi Len. Can't help you but I'm sure someone will be along soon with the info.

Welcome to the forum.

dastier from GB.

Hello Len,

First off, congratulations on acquisition of a very fine specimen. There are some deceptively well made fakes floating about the market now, but yours appears absolutely genuine with all parts intact and unmessed with. A real cracker.

As far as numbering, these sabers were produced in quantities of 10,000 per each letter prefix. Between mid 1936 when production started until July 1st 39 a total of 39,564 were produced. This met (in fact exceeded) the required quantity at the time and production was presumably halted. Therefore the highest letter prefix would have been “D”.

There does exist a variant of this saber produced by the same factory with slight differences in the blade details and a four digit serial number without a prefix. I have not found any references sources providing any information on these. Hopefully some “Ludwikówka” saber experts here can shed some more light on this, and perhaps offer corrections or additional information to what I have provided.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Thanks for the information Tony, it's greatly appreciated. Were the first 10k swords made with no alpha prefix or did the first series start with "A"? The reason I ask is that I acquired my first '34 about 10 years ago and it's a no alpha prefix (mismatched by four numbers though). I'm attaching pics.

Best regards,
    Len

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Hello Len,

First off, congratulations on acquisition of a very fine specimen. There are some deceptively well made fakes floating about the market now, but yours appears absolutely genuine with all parts intact and unmessed with. A real cracker.

As far as numbering, these sabers were produced in quantities of 10,000 per each letter prefix. Between mid 1936 when production started until July 1st 39 a total of 39,564 were produced. This met (in fact exceeded) the required quantity at the time and production was presumably halted. Therefore the highest letter prefix would have been “D”.

There does exist a variant of this saber produced by the same factory with slight differences in the blade details and a four digit serial number without a prefix. I have not found any references sources providing any information on these. Hopefully some “Ludwikówka” saber experts here can shed some more light on this, and perhaps offer corrections or additional information to what I have provided.

Regards,
    Tony

Hi Len, I recognize this saber from the current auction. It’s quite amazing to see the serial number mismatch by only several digits. Did you pair these up or was it the way you acquired it?

I don’t know if the initial run of 10K was produced without a letter prefix, but somehow doubt it. Again, this is where an expert on these sabers will need to step in. I have several books covering pre-war Polish sabers, but none of them get into any detail about the numbering of the wz.34.

Can you provide a picture of the blade at the ricasso? This is the area containing the most obvious difference between the more common ‘standard’ blade and the variant I mentioned in my prior post that exists with the non-prefix serial number.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

?

Here are a few photos of my wz.34. I have been told this is an officers model.

The serial number is on the blade as well as the scabbard but not together.

serial number 483 H

Piwo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish "Szabla"  Wz.1934   Polish "Szabla"  Wz.1934  

Polish "Szabla"  Wz.1934   Polish "Szabla"  Wz.1934  

?

Hi Tony,
    Yep it's the same sword as the auction. I don't really need a pair of them , tempting as the thought may be. The scabbard came with the sword. I found it in an antique shop in Naples, Florida. I'm attaching the pics you requested, let me know if they're what you need to see. The only differences I can see are that the sans prefix sword is missing the small Polish eagle mark as well as the circled SHL logo (which also appears on the D prefix sword's drag).

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Hi Len, I recognize this saber from the current auction. It’s quite amazing to see the serial number mismatch by only several digits. Did you pair these up or was it the way you acquired it?

I don’t know if the initial run of 10K was produced without a letter prefix, but somehow doubt it. Again, this is where an expert on these sabers will need to step in. I have several books covering pre-war Polish sabers, but none of them get into any detail about the numbering of the wz.34.

Can you provide a picture of the blade at the ricasso? This is the area containing the most obvious difference between the more common ‘standard’ blade and the variant I mentioned in my prior post that exists with the non-prefix serial number.

Regards,
    Tony

Thanks Len. It's the standard type blade. I'll find a pic of the unusual variant to scan and post later.

Nice find in an antique shop! Why don't I ever have such luck ??!

Best wishes with your sale. Last time I looked the price launched strongly straight out of the gate.

Cheers,
    Tony

Quote by Piwo2 View Post
    Here are a few photos of my wz.34. I have been told this is an officers model.

The serial number is on the blade as well as the scabbard but not together.

serial number 483 H

Piwo
    Nice one Piwo

I’m not aware that officer’s models differentiated from EM. I recall reading that they were one and the same. Perhaps there’s a clue in the unusual serial number with the low number and “H”, in this case a suffix. First time I am seeing that. Again, the input of an expert on these would be welcome.

Here’s my wz.34. According to the seller it was a ‘GI bring back’

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish "Szabla"  Wz.1934   Polish "Szabla"  Wz.1934  

?

Tony,

I purchased this sword some 16 years ago. When it arrived from the vendor I almost returned it for two reasons:
    1) the grips were ebony or black wood not red as the Polish books described
    2) the scabbard had two hanger rings not a single ring like pictured

I chose to keep it. Some years later I was discussing my saber with a very serious collector from New York. He explained to me that I had a private purchase officers model wz.34. He said he and other collectors had similar swords but not until they has seen it featured in the Ludwikow catalog from the later 1930's did they get confirmation of its authenticity. Sadly this collector passed away before I was able to get a copy of the catalog page.

I am hopeful that other Polish collectors can substantiate this explanation.

Oh, yes I have been the "lucky " collector to get a lovely copy of the wz.34 EM sword from an Ebay vendor from Poland.

A number of members from the Polish Re-enactors Pro-board have seen this sword and believe it is authentic. Some of these same collectors may also belong to this discussion group.

I am hopeful that some sword expert can enlighten us more on this saber.

cheers,
    Piwo

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast