Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Polish uniform button

Article about: Can anyone confirm that this (attached file) is a WWII Polish military uniform button, or perhaps assign a different time period to it? Any other related information would also be much appre

GAP62000
    ?

Default Polish uniform button

Can anyone confirm that this (attached file) is a WWII Polish military uniform button, or perhaps assign a different time period to it? Any other related information would also be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish uniform button 

?

Default Re: Polish uniform button

Hello and welcome ..

That's a Polish WW2 or pre-WW2 button ok ...

Note the Eagle is crowned .. which is the giveaway to it being pre-communist.

Are there any markings to the rear ??

Regards

Gary J.

GAP62000
    ?

Thanks Gary,

Here's a picture of the back...no markings on it. Is there any way to tell if it's pre-WWII? Based on what I know of the family immigration history, I can't imagine how I'd be in possession of WWII button from Poland since the Polish relatives came to the U.S. no later than 1919.

Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish uniform button  

GAP6200, the eagle design is very similar to the ‘1927 pattern’, that was adopted as Poland’s national symbol in that year and has largely carried over until today unchanged (the crown was removed during the Soviet occupation years). Therefore, the eagle is not likely to be from the WWI era.

Button collecting is a whole field unto itself. Polish made buttons were very typically marked, as were most British and even French made buttons for the exile forces. Judging from your family story I suspect that this button may be of US production, possibly for a veteran’s uniform. Just a hunch.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish uniform button  
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish uniform button 
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne