Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Pre-war Polish Naval (MW -Marynarka Wojenna) Binoculars, 100% original pre-war ?

Article about: Hello, I have won this pair of binoculars. Could someone tell me if they are 100% original pre-war, please ? They are made by PZO and are inside a "Carl Zeiss Jena" case. The intia

Default Pre-war Polish Naval (MW -Marynarka Wojenna) Binoculars, 100% original pre-war ?

Hello,

I have won this pair of binoculars.

Could someone tell me if they are 100% original pre-war, please ?

They are made by PZO and are inside a "Carl Zeiss Jena" case.

The intials/abbreviations are MW NAW inside a box, do they stand for Marynarka Wojenna (Polish Navy), do you know what NAW (naval branch - training base, coastal battery, Naval Rifle Regiment ?) stands for, please ?

This puzzles me, maybe they were used when the other makes were in short supply, or by a shore based branch of the Navy ?

"The binoculars 6x30 were not used by Polish Naval Forces due to the conclusion of the Commander of the
    Forces, Jozef Unrug: “The binoculars H.Kolberg 6x30 are not suitable for night observation.
    They do not have enough light collecting power, and the eyes become tired very quickly. In
    addition, the binoculars are - too heavy” – the letter was dated 28.11.1932.
    After the Commander’s declaration a research body was established. This carried out a
    comparison of: the English marine binocular Barr &Stroud 7x50, and French binocular Krauss
    7x50. After 3 years of examination was the conclusion made, on 29.11.1935, that the Krauss
    binocular is much better for use by Polish Naval Forces".

The serial number is 51108, which means production of 1939 (1939 - to 4-5th September - 50 093 – 52 443 - from weblink - http://binoculars-cinecollectors.com/History_of_H.pdf).

Also they are painted in crystalline paint.

Does anybody know a rough value range for these, has someone seen another example like this in the past, please ?

Please reply as soon as possible.

Thank You

justin1939
    Attached Images Attached Images Pre-war Polish Naval (MW -Marynarka Wojenna) Binoculars, 100% original pre-war ?  Pre-war Polish Naval (MW -Marynarka Wojenna) Binoculars, 100% original pre-war ?  Pre-war Polish Naval (MW -Marynarka Wojenna) Binoculars, 100% original pre-war ?  Pre-war Polish Naval (MW -Marynarka Wojenna) Binoculars, 100% original pre-war ?  Pre-war Polish Naval (MW -Marynarka Wojenna) Binoculars, 100% original pre-war ?  Pre-war Polish Naval (MW -Marynarka Wojenna) Binoculars, 100% original pre-war ?  Pre-war Polish Naval (MW -Marynarka Wojenna) Binoculars, 100% original pre-war ?  Pre-war Polish Naval (MW -Marynarka Wojenna) Binoculars, 100% original pre-war ? 

Default Re: Pre-war Polish Naval (MW -Marynarka Wojenna) Binoculars, 100% original pre-war ?

Justin, not being very knowledgeable on these I can’t offer you much information. But they do seem of pre-war vintage. I don’t think the case is original equipment, which is a shame. These contained various accessories. No idea as to value, but I recall seeing a good condition complete binoc / case set with accessories sell earlier this right around $800 if memory serves.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne