Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Pre-War Polish Officer's Salon/Dress belt - 100% original Pre-War ?

Article about: Hello, Is this belt 100% original Pre-War, please ? I have attached the photos. Please reply as soon as possible. Thank You Justin1939

Default Pre-War Polish Officer's Salon/Dress belt - 100% original Pre-War ?

Hello,

Is this belt 100% original Pre-War, please ?

I have attached the photos.

Please reply as soon as possible.

Thank You

Justin1939
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pre-War Polish Officer's Salon/Dress belt - 100% original Pre-War ?   Pre-War Polish Officer's Salon/Dress belt - 100% original Pre-War ?  

Pre-War Polish Officer's Salon/Dress belt - 100% original Pre-War ?   Pre-War Polish Officer's Salon/Dress belt - 100% original Pre-War ?  

Pre-War Polish Officer's Salon/Dress belt - 100% original Pre-War ?   Pre-War Polish Officer's Salon/Dress belt - 100% original Pre-War ?  

Last edited by justin1939; 03-17-2012 at 09:27 AM.

Default Re: Pre-War Polish Officer's Salon/Dress belt - 100% original Pre-War ?

The wz.28 belt was made in several variations, although I don’t recall ever seeing on eof this type which has no means of length adjustment. Most of these belts have two movable ‘loops’.

I’ve posted pictures of the one in my collection below, along with a picture of one in wear by a familiar looking chap.

The belt you pictured has these ‘loops’ fixed in place. Overall the belt appears entirely genuine, and it very could have been a custom ordered one, or was altered at some point.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pre-War Polish Officer's Salon/Dress belt - 100% original Pre-War ?   Pre-War Polish Officer's Salon/Dress belt - 100% original Pre-War ?  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Why that particular relief on the buckle? When I first saw it I thought it was Greek!

I suppose it’s just the imagery conveyed by the proud battle hardened Spartan warrior of ages past. While not quite as intense as that of the Spartans (where boys were taken from their families at the tender age of 7 to start their years of hard training) I have listened to first-hand accounts of how strict and disciplined the training was for soldiers in the Polish army of the time.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

I would have expected a Polish Winged Hussar. Thanks for the reply.

Good point Mike. All branches of the land forces used these belts, and because of the winged hussars traditional association with the cavalry such an image, if in fact considered, may have been ruled for that reason.

T.

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Good point Mike. All branches of the land forces used these belts, and because of the winged hussars traditional association with the cavalry such an image, if in fact considered, may have been ruled for that reason.

T.
    Now the Poles are starting to sound like the Canadian Liberals - in order not to offend anyone, we will choose something no one can relate to and discard the traditions and symbols of our martial history. (I'm thinking especially of the Liberals Unification Green uniforms and the discarding of the traditional Royal Canadian Navy, Royal Canadian Air Force and Canadian Army for Maritime Command, Air Command and... Land Command? Mobile Command? I can't even remember the crappy name anymore. They even took the Armed out of Canadian Armed Forces! Any Canadian soldier serving at the time would probably relate to how the Liberals turned their backs on the traditions and history of the three branches of the Canadian military).

No offense intended to anyone here or of Polish decent (myself included) but couldn't the powers that were picked something more Polish. I wasn't joking when I thought it was Greek.

How about something like this minus the 2nd Polish Legion symbols and more refined:

Quote by dastier View Post
    Attachment 324755 Now the Poles are starting to sound like the Canadian Liberals . . .
    As a resident of this nation I definitely catch your drift! I could go on at length about the deleterious effects of progressivism in Canadian society, but this is not a topic for this forum. Anyway, once again I have no idea if such a design concept was ever even considered and was only speculating on a possible reason why hussar imagery may have been ruled out.

Poland’s military history was very heavily reflected in all aspects of pre-war militaria (one needs look no further than regimental badge design) so a departure from a purely Polish theme for a belt buckle isn’t all that objectionable from my standpoint. I’ve no idea why this design was chosen, although have always rather liked it.

Regards,
    Tony

PS I’ll do some digging to see if I can find any more information. I welcome anyone’s input that may shed some light on this.