Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Pre WW2 Polish Lieutenants Trunk ?

Article about: Interesting box I picked up today at the local carboot, I think to a Polish Lieutenant, I'm guessing pre WW2, came from a house clearance, no other details unfortunately. The last 2x picture

Default Pre WW2 Polish Lieutenants Trunk ?

Interesting box I picked up today at the local carboot, I think to a Polish Lieutenant, I'm guessing pre WW2, came from a house clearance, no other details unfortunately. The last 2x pictures show the top after a gentle wipe with a wet cloth.
    Regards Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pre WW2 Polish Lieutenants Trunk ?   Pre WW2 Polish Lieutenants Trunk ?  

Pre WW2 Polish Lieutenants Trunk ?   Pre WW2 Polish Lieutenants Trunk ?  

Hello Gary,

I was not able to find him listed in the Monte Cassino Cross Recipients List, nor in the 3rd Carpathian Infantry Division List, the 314/III is his Army Number normally preceded by his year of Birth.

Can I assume that you picked this up in the UK, because the only Tadeusz GRYGLASZEWSKI that I could find lived at 27 Lewes Road, Harold Hill, Romford in Essex. He was born on the 19th June 1911 and died on the 26th February 1983 in Havering.

I have gone through both the Officers Yearbook for 1932 and the Reserve Officers Yearbook for 1934, with nothing listed for him so possibly joined the Polish Army after 1932.

I did find a listing for a Porucznik (Lieutenant) Tadeusz Gryglaszewski as Officer Commanding 1st Platoon, 3rd Rifle Company of the KOP Battalion DUKLA in 1939.

Whether or not this is him would have to be proved, so it would also depend on where you purchased this chest.

I have placed below copies of his Telephone Directory page containing his entry, Death Register Entry and Probate Entry, I only hope that this is the right Tadeusz Gryglaszewski.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hi Andrzej,
    yes the trunk was found in the UK, it also has an old LMS railway label on the front, for delivery to Euston Station, in London (just visable in the first photo). I'm amazed at your research for this possible conection to the name on the trunk, Thankyou ! There are some more numbers just visable below his name (see last photo, I will have a closer look tomorrow, to see if I can make them out.
    Regards
    Gary