MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Rokitna Badge

Article about: Does anyone recognize this badge? Is it authentic or fake. The only reference I have found to a Roktina Badge describes a different looking badge. Thanks, dastier

Default Rokitna Badge

Does anyone recognize this badge? Is it authentic or fake. The only reference I have found to a Roktina Badge describes a different looking badge.

Thanks, dastier
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rokitna Badge   Rokitna Badge  

Rokitna Badge  

Default re: Rokitna Badge

... for comparison:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rokitna Badge   Rokitna Badge  

Thanks Ivan. Do you have any info to share about these memorial badges - when made, by whom, numbers, variants, value etc?

Do you know anything about Roktina? - I believe it was a Polish Cavalry charge.

The Battle of Rokitna took place, as you can see on the badge, on 13 June 1915.

Sixty-four Ulans of the 2nd Brigade charged through several (three?) lines of Russian trenches in an attempt to relieve elements of an Austro-Hungarian Infantry unit. Although they did break through the lines, of the 64 Ulans who participated in the charge, I believe only 6 made it.

The badge in question is the 1st anniversary commemorative badge for the Charge at Rokitna. It dates from 1916 and I believe it was available to the public (See Stela, figure 2.45). This should not be confused with the "official" Rokitna Cross badge, which is very rare (for reference see Stela's book, figure 2.22). The crosses are numbered and named on the reverse.

As a one year commemorative, I suspect that quite a few of them were made because they were in essence, patriotic badges. I have had several of them over the years. I should note that all of mine had pin-backs, not screw-posts.

Here's a variant with the pinback on the vertical axis.

Regards,
    T.

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Default Re: Rokitna Badge

Thanks for sharing, Tony. What is this Stela book IvanPutski is referring to? In fact if you could recommend some books, it would be most appreciated as I've only begun collecting Polish militaria.

Default Re: Rokitna Badge

Quote by dastier View Post
    What is this Stela book IvanPutski is referring to?
    The Wojciech Stela book, formally titled “Polskie odznaki Honorowe i pamiątkowe 1914-1921”, is a useful reference listing the decorations and badges awarded for military valour and to commemorate the various border wars following WWI. It also provides a brief history of these conflicts which were fought to establish the boundaries of the Polish 2nd Republic. A book well worth owning, although hunting down a copy may take some time and effort

Regards,
    Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images Rokitna Badge 
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne