Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Service Medals

Article about: My Grandfather was in the Polish army in 1939, and was captured in the second wekk of the war and spent the rest of the war in a POW camp. I was wondering if he would have been entitled to a

?

Default Service Medals

My Grandfather was in the Polish army in 1939, and was captured in the second wekk of the war and spent the rest of the war in a POW camp. I was wondering if he would have been entitled to any service medals for his service and what kinds they would have been.

Thanking you

3mk
    ?

Default Re: Service Medals

Hey there,
    Do you know anything about his service before the war?How long he served or what regiment?

All I can think off at the moment is a post-war commerative medal for the 1939 Campaign which can be picked up easily on Ebay or Allegro.pl .

?

All I do know was that he was a Senior NCO (SGT) and maybe in the Lancers, will speak to my dad to see if I can find out more.

Thankyou for your help and time......

Quote by 3mk View Post
    . . . All I can think off at the moment is a post-war commerative medal for the 1939 Campaign which can be picked up easily on Ebay or Allegro.pl .
    Medal for Participation in the Defense of the Fatherland 1939 (Medal Za Udział w Wojnie Obronnej Ojczyzna 1939)

This medal was officially instituted during the Soviet occupation era on July 7, 1981 and was one of the decorations that remained recognized and continued by the freely elected post communist government.

The example posted below is a post-Communist version with it’s original storage sleeve and award document bearing President Lech Wałęsa’s signature. The ribbon is stiffened by a cardboard insert.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Service Medals   Service Medals  

Service Medals   Service Medals  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

3mk
    ?

Thanks for covering that one Tony, I should of included more information.

Also nice set I only owned the medal

?

qotd, do you know how long your Grandfather did serve before WW2? If he had served 10 years he could have been awarded the Medal za długoletnią służbę in bronze or also one in silver for 20 years long service.

Regards,
    MJU