Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Silesian Uprising medal 1st type......differences in design ...explanation help required !!

Article about: Hi, Picked up a nice original pair of Polish Silesian uprising medals , one retains its first type issue ribbon,the second the later versian ribbon. Obverse on one states 5 pp ,dziel,nym,and

Default Silesian Uprising medal 1st type......differences in design ...explanation help required !!

Hi,
    Picked up a nice original pair of Polish Silesian uprising medals , one retains its first type issue ribbon,the second the later versian ribbon.
    Obverse on one states 5 pp ,dziel,nym,and rybn on four arms...this differs to the other which only states dziel and nym....can anyone explain this difference in design ??? is one issue rarer than the other....
    thanks steveSilesian Uprising medal 1st type......differences in design ...explanation help required !!Silesian Uprising medal 1st type......differences in design ...explanation help required !!

Default Re: Silesian Uprising medal 1st type......differences in design ...explanation help required !!

Hello Steve,

Your crosses are the standard “Cross of the Upper Silesian Sash of Valour and Merit”, and then the “5th Rybnicki Insurgents Infantry Regiment” version issued to members of that unit. The latter is the scarcer of the two.

The ribbons are incorrect for your crosses. They belong on the postwar communist era Silesian Uprising Cross. The correct pre-war ribbon is pictured below.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Silesian Uprising medal 1st type......differences in design ...explanation help required !!  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Default Re: Silesian Uprising medal 1st type......differences in design ...explanation help required !!

Thank you Tony ,very informative.
    Is there any info available you know of about the “5th Rybnicki Insurgents Infantry Regiment” activities at this time ....surprised they had a special version of the medal !!
    best wishes
    Steve

Hi Steve,

No doubt there are some detailed accounts that cover the Silesian uprisings, with most likely in Polish. Of the cuff I don’t have any titles that I could pass along, but some internet searches should yield some results.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hi!

Help me, please, with the definition of the authenticity of the Silesian cross.

Sorry for my English - I am from Russia.
    Thank you in advance.

Silesian Uprising medal 1st type......differences in design ...explanation help required !!

Hi,

Unfortunately, this Silesian Cross is not original. I am absolutely sure that it is a copy.

The genuine one should be fixed to the ribbon like this example presented above by Tony.

Please find below another example of the genuine Silesian Cross:

Regards,
    Jacek

...I am not convinced its a copy...yours or even mine may be the later issue ....my two as displayed at the start of thread have similar fixings and were acquired direct from the relatives in Poland.
    regards
    steve