Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Tell me about the uniforms in this picture

Article about: What I've been told about this picture is that one of the people in it is my great-grandfather, and that it dates to around World War I. I've been doing some research online, and the uniform

?

Default Tell me about the uniforms in this picture

What I've been told about this picture is that one of the people in it is my great-grandfather, and that it dates to around World War I. I've been doing some research online, and the uniforms look a bit too recent to be World War I, but I figured I would ask the experts instead.

I know that this branch of the family lived in Galicia.

Default Re: Tell me about the uniforms in this picture

I think the guy in front might be Austrian? I'm probably way off.

the other two have Polish zygzag collar tabs.
    Probably some connection to Polish Legions in Austro-Hungarian army.

?

It's entirely plausible that this could be Austrian - there is a long tradition of service in the Austrian/Austro-Hungarian military in my family, and they live in the right region to have been in the Polish Legions.

Galicja was part of Poland for a long time and part of it remains with today's borders.

?

But I've been looking at Austrian military uniforms all day, and nothing I've found looks like what the guy in the front is wearing.

It is an Austro-Hungarian C.K uniform - have a look at that one Sylwetki mundurowe - Mundur CK. 1 Tyrolski regiment Strzelców Cesarskich | Articles |

Quote by Felix View Post
    What I've been told about this picture is that one of the people in it is my great-grandfather, and that it dates to around World War I. I've been doing some research online, and the uniforms look a bit too recent to be World War I, but I figured I would ask the experts instead.

I know that this branch of the family lived in Galicia.

Felix here's a photo of a Polish Rotmistrz in the Austro Hungarian cavalry to compare:Tell me about the uniforms in this picture

The picture is a very popular kind of the folk art - so called "Monidło" in Polish (no reference in English). Many of the local, country artists painted such kind of pictures having photos of persons portrayed. In this particular case we have a compilation of probably father and sons (father served in K.uK. Austrian Army and sons were portrayed during service within the Polish Army - second half of 30'?
    Paintings such like this were presented with frames on the walls inside the houses.