Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

very big request to medal identification

Article about: hello, I have a big request. I looking for information on my grandfather. My grandfather was a soldier. After World War I left for France where he was until 1928. Then returned to the Polish

Default very big request to medal identification

hello,
    I have a big request. I looking for information on my grandfather.
    My grandfather was a soldier. After World War I left for France where he was until 1928. Then returned to the Polish. In France, received a medal. I do not know how exactly this medal to be called, but this is probably a medal for bravery. I have one picture where you see the ribbon of the medal. Medal itself is invisible.
    What is a medal?
    French, British, perhaps another???
    I shall be grateful for help.
    Robert

Default Re: very big request to medal identification

Quote by Robspad View Post
    hello,
    I have a big request. I looking for information on my grandfather.
    My grandfather was a soldier. After World War I left for France where he was until 1928. Then returned to the Polish. In France, received a medal. I do not know how exactly this medal to be called, but this is probably a medal for bravery. I have one picture where you see the ribbon of the medal. Medal itself is invisible.
    What is a medal?
    French, British, perhaps another???
    I shall be grateful for help.
    Robert
    Usually, important medals are at the front, or on the right side of a medal bar. Long service or foreign medals are sometimes in the spot where you are indicating, however, it is very dark and difficult to make out just what medal it is.

The first one on the bar is the "Independence Cross".

It does look like there are crossed swords on the ribbon which would
    exclude Britain, I think......... It could be "The Medal Of Merit On The Field Of Glory" possibly, although the suspension is different.

Anyone?

3mk
    ?

The ribbon on top of the medals is for 2 wounds
    1.Cross of Independence
    2.Cross of Valor
    3.Medal for war of 1918-1921
    4.Medal for 10 years of Independence
    5.Uknown foreign medal looks French

The medal is Latvian 1920 War Medal (Awards announced in Army Orders, the one that I have was awarded to a Polish Kapitan.

I hope that the information is of some use and help

Welcome aboard Andrzejku!

I was hoping to make your eventual acquaintance. You are the mysterious “ebay ID guy” that I often see contributing information to seller’s of Polish militaria that they post on their auctions. I say ‘mysterious’ because it seems that you never actually bid for any of the items you help identify!

In any event, it’s great to have you with us. I am certain that your contribution here will be significant and more than appreciated. And such is the case with your first post!

Regards,
    Tony

3mk
    ?

So that was the guy! :P

The medal is Latvian 1920 War Medal (Awards announced in Army Orders, the one that I have was awarded to a Polish Kapitan.

I hope that the information is of some use and help
    Andrzejku98!
    Very thank you for the information. Very likely that you have a point. It is very possible.
    My grandfather served in 7PPLeg. The regiment fought with the Bolsheviks in Latvia.
    I must find another picture my grandfather, (who visible 3 bars on the Cross of Valor), and all distinctions are more visible.
    Thank you for the information again.
    Below: Commemorative Medal for the 10th Anniversary of the Battles for the Liberation of the Republic of Latvia - color version and black-white.

3mk
    ?

Also,The ribbon with 2 stars on top of all th medals is a Wound Bar,1 star represents 1 wound so in this case your Grandfather was wounded twice.

Hi,

If you let me have your Grandfathers Christian and Surname I will have a look to see if I can find out when his award was announced.

Hear from you soon

Andrzejku