Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 ... LastLast

Virtuti Militari Thread

Article about: Hi.It's a virtuti militari thread so I'm just curious.Is that original Polish armed forces in the West virtuti with engraved 1944 date on the back? Cheers.

Default re: Virtuti Militari Thread

Hello Tony,

thanks for the info. I have to do my part of the deal in two terms, apparently someone owns me a key to two cabinets, which made me not being able to make photos of the backs.

Yes, backs, we have more then 1 example, actually three/four.

well, the first one/two are riibons on the uniform of the General himself.

the second one is on display in the medals cabinet, no backing same ribbon as mine, but different details in the eagle reciepent unknown.

the last one is of a member of the First Indipendent Polish armoured Brigade.

Virtuti Militari ThreadVirtuti Militari ThreadVirtuti Militari ThreadVirtuti Militari ThreadVirtuti Militari Thread

kindest regards,
    Michiel

to be continued for the reverses.

?

Michiel,
    Welcome to the forum !
    I presume somebody has checked the inside pocket of the officers jacket ?
    I ask, as nearly all the Polish officers Service Dress jackets I've seen have had the owners name inked in on the internal pocket label.

Regards

Gary J.

Gary, when you mean the rough wool jacket, it's not an officer, but an Enlisted. The other uniform belonged to the General, General Stanislaw Maczek.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Virtuti Militari Thread

Grand Duchy of Warsaw, (1807-13), Order of Virtuti Militari, Fourth Class Cross, in gold and enamels, with French eagle’s head mark on suspension, width 39mm, of good workmanship, enamel losses at eagle on obverse and horseman on reverse, otherwise very fine and rare.

Sotheby's Auction 02 July 2013 Estimate: £6,000 - £8,000
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Dee Jay
    ?

Hello

I'm new to the forum and I found the forum while trying to find out if a medal I have owned for about 20 years is genuine.

I hope someone would be so kind as to help.

Here are photos of the front and back of the medal although not discernible on the photo the loop for the ribbon ring is marked with what appears to be "P4" on the back.

Thanks

DJ

Virtuti Militari ThreadVirtuti Militari Thread

Hello DJ, and welcome to the forum. Your Third Class VM cross is of modern manufacture. I do not know much at all about this version and can only add that it appears to be of better quality than some of the ‘collector copies’ making the rounds on the market.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Dee Jay
    ?

Hello Tony,

Thanks for the reply and the welcome to the forum.

I suspected that it can't have been very old when I bought it in a militaria shop in Bristol, I said 20 years ago in my original post it's probably on reflection 30 years ago (where does time go). It is quite heavy and almost looks handmade when I look at it closely.

Anyway thanks again for giving me the details of what it is.

Best wishes

DJ

You’re most welcome DJ. I’ve seen this same version up for sale periodically and can only surmise that it is some sort of copy. As you’re likely well aware, genuine VM’s in this class are definite rarities and very sought after.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Hi Everyone,

Just by chance I came across this photograph on the Internet which I just thought you might like to see:

Virtuti Militari Thread

The Virtuti Militari Diploma awarded by General Sikorski to Squadron Leader John Alexander Kent DFC AFC.

Also found the following photograph of his medals at RAF Hendon

Virtuti Militari Thread

I hope that oyu all like them

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Hi Andrzejku, thanks for the post. Better suited to the exiled armed forces section but nice to see nonetheless. A very early wartime award.

Regards,
    Tony

Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 ... LastLast