Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 15 of 70 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 65 ... LastLast

Virtuti Militari Thread

Article about: Hi.It's a virtuti militari thread so I'm just curious.Is that original Polish armed forces in the West virtuti with engraved 1944 date on the back? Cheers.

Hello Georges, and may I also welcome you to the forum.

Quote by deco06 View Post
    . . . Do you think this one is a pre-war Krupski & Matulewicz pattern. The cross is genuine although I found on an other Web site that original ones would be in solid silver and issued by the Warsaw mint. My Cross is bronze silvered.... A replacement Cross ?
    Based on the pictures I see no reason to doubt that your cross is a genuine government issue Krupski i Matulewicz contract cross. A wonderful surviving example in exceptional condition. The pre-WW2 ribbon is always a nice bonus!

From what you have written it's quite obvious that you have a sincere appreciation for the history these items represent. These treasures have fallen into the right hands!

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Hello Tony,

Sorry for the delay in answering, I was away for the last days.
    Thank you to confirm the maker name of this Cross. The fact is that I am also a French civilian and military orders and medals collector and to some extent fond of History. I began collecting when I was 16 years old unloading trucks on flea markets to earn enough money to then buy a few medals. I am now 55 and the flame is always very lively.
    What I prefer is to find an homogeneous set of medals and documents to make these persons live again. We owe so much to them and their example is of great importance espacially in a time where marks or values are missing.
    So to find in the Family these Polish medals and hoping they could be a part of my personal history is really a must !

That's all .... Kind regards, Georges - France.

?

Hello Tony and Andrzejku ,

I couldn't have more information on Jan Sobecki in the Familly circle and I am now quite sure that this person has crossed our history for some reasons but I don't know which ones.
    May be the polish origins of one of my familly branch can explain the fact that we kept some of his medals.

But I recieved the confirmation of his name as my great uncle sent me this military identity disc:

It confirms what Tony has written about Jan Sobecki being a Major in 1940 in France Commanding Officer of the Armoured Company. Now I have to find out what happened after 1940 .....

Thank you all again.

Best wishes
    Georges.

3mk
    ?

Thats a great unique item, I have never seen a similar one before

?

Hi Evrybody,

Thank you again for the help identifing Yann Sobecki Silver Cross.
    A friend of mine has a very nice Virtuti Militari Cross in his collection and he sent me some pictures that I would like to share with you.

To me it is a "Duché de Varsovie" model period 1807-1815 or may be till 1830. It seems to be a French issue as there is a French silver hallmarck on the ring (boar's head). This official hallmark starts in 1838 till 1964.
    He bought this Cross on a flea market with a French commemorative medal for the Italian campaign (1859) and a Napoleon III Legion of Honor (1852-1870). It could also be an older Cross stamped with a French hallmarck later if it has been controled in an auction sale or a notarial succession.

Just to know ... Has the Virtuti Militari with the date 1831 on the observe been awarded only between 1830 and 1831 (Polish uprising) ?

Never mind, a very beautiful medal indeed ...

Cheers - Georges.

?

Hi,

Could you please confirm this Cross is a "Duché de Varsovie" model period 1807-1815 ? Has this model been given till 1830 and when the model with the date 1831 has been awarded ? Between 1830 and 1831 ?

Thank you for your answer.

Best regards - Georges.

I am away from home, so I will offer my opinion real quick. Two thing that point to this Cross being past 1831, first is the "Pogon" on obverse, second the late french Hallmark. Many Polish emigrees after the 1831 Uprising went to France and had crosses made with the "Pogon", as it was outlawed by the russian Tsar. These crosses were all jeweller made so they differ in composition, quality, whatever money one wanted to or had to spend dctated how fancy the cross was. and of course the hallmark being past 1831 is another clue. I have a very simiar Cross in my collection and know whom it belonged to and it was given for 1831 Uprising.

?

Hello and thank you Itakdalej for the answer.
    I suppose the "Pogon" is the eagle on the observe as I couldn't find a proper translation of this word. I share your opinion on the date as the French hallmark is past 1838. But what in this case the difference with the 1831 model (date 1831 on the observe) ?
    Thanks to your remark I noticed that the globe was missing in the eagle's claw. It may have been broken ...

Best regards, Georges.

Hello Georges

The Pogoń is the armoured knight on horseback. This is the coat of arms of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, and it’s use on a Polish decoration heralds back to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth of the 16th- and 17th-centuries.

I’ll leave your other questions for Itakdalej’s reply.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Hello Tony,

Thank you for explanation. So I only did a mistake between the eagle and the armoured knight ! Shame, shame, ....
    I am still interested in understanding the different VM models from that period.
    Who can help (with pictures would be better) ?

Best regards, Georges.

Page 15 of 70 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 65 ... LastLast