Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 19 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 69 ... LastLast

Virtuti Militari Thread

Article about: Hi.It's a virtuti militari thread so I'm just curious.Is that original Polish armed forces in the West virtuti with engraved 1944 date on the back? Cheers.

Hello Everyone,

A photograph taken in the early 1920's with Marshall Jozef Pilsudski sitting surrounded by officers one of whom is Bronislaw Duch wearing his Silver Cross Virtuti Militari, French Croix de Guerre and the British Military Cross.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Everyone,

Another well known face of a recipient this time General Broni Kazimierz Sosnkowski in colour photographed in his Headquarters in London in August 1943

Virtuti Militari Thread

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

Decided to check out the POLIN Museum of the History of Polish Jews yesterday, and I noticed this bad boy awarded posthumously to Motel Levinson displayed.

Cheers,

Brandon

Attachment 800280
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread  
    Last edited by A.J. Zawadzki; 02-09-2015 at 01:53 AM. Reason: corrected photo rotation

Hi Guys!
    I need help to ID this Virtuti Militari. Is it late Panasiuk??
    Regards
    Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread   Virtuti Militari Thread  

Hi Tom, you're correct. It is a post war made copy, usually attributed to Panasiuk.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hello Everyone.

Something that is seldom seen or shown is a Virtuti Legitymacja to a Female, shown below is the Virtuti Militari Legitymacja awarded to Wanda Piekarska, who also received the Cross of Independence with Swords which she is also wearing in the photograph on her Legitymacja

Virtuti Militari Thread

Best wishes

Andrzej

Wanda Pekarska born 17 March 1893 in Radom, Poland. On 12th August 1914 she is called to serve in the Intelligence Branch of I st Brigade of Legions.

She has crossed Front lines as a courier and scout for the Ist Brigade of Legions no less than SEVEN times, was arrested several times. Won a Virtuti Militari, Cross of Independence with Swords and a POW Cross.

In 1939 she joined ZWZ (Zwiazek Walki Zbrojnej) ,(Union of Armed Struggle) predecessor to AK. Arrested 24 April 1941 and sent to Ravensbruck Womens Concentration Camp. Set free in May 1945.
    She died in 1972.
    It is worth mentioning that she was laid to rest in a family grave, where also rest : her Brother Jan, soldier ZWZ died in Auschwitz in 1941, sister Sofia executed in Pinczow in 1941, Jan's wife Stanislawa executed in Pinczow in 1942, and her sister Jadwiga who died in Warsaw Uprising , Jadwiga was also a Virtuti Militari winner.
    RIP.

New cross in my collection - Nagalski "wtornik"
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread   Virtuti Militari Thread  

Virtuti Militari Thread  

?

Is there any reference guide for the VM detailing makers and versions comparable to the Krogulec book for KWs?

To be honest, have never ran across a similar book, which is surprising for such a decoration.

Cheers,

B

Sorry B, there isn't. The subject begs for a reference along the lines of the Zbigniew Krotke excellent effort on the KZ. That book set the bar for all such references / handbooks to follow.

Regards,
    T.
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 19 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 69 ... LastLast