Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 23 of 70 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast

Virtuti Militari Thread

Article about: Hi.It's a virtuti militari thread so I'm just curious.Is that original Polish armed forces in the West virtuti with engraved 1944 date on the back? Cheers.

?

Other picture of Bertrand maker's mark with medal desscription:

Montenegrian Bravery Medal, 1912-1916 type by Arthus Bertrand in Paris. Excellent details and condition, nicely patinated. Hallmarked with French silver guarantee mark (head of wild boar), Dutch silver (835 fineness) import control mark (both to body of the medal) along with Bertrand's mark to the suspension eye. Most superb example, likely issued to a Dutch Officer making it rather interesting research piece. There could not have been too many Dutch issued such medal. Complete with original ribbon. 36mm in diameter, 2mm planchet. Finest example of this type we have ever seen. Earlier, Austrian-produced medals are much more common, so are those not made in silver.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread  

Hello Szymon,

Thanks for your post. I got that off the Internet, so it has to be true! Apparently Bertrand used two different marks. In the early part of the 20th century he in a business partnership with another individual. At some point the partnership dissolved and the mark was supposedly changed and simplified. Again, this could be all wrong. As an aside, in reviewing French maker marks it's not unusual to see makers with the same initials having very similar marks. Anyway, I was prompted down this road as the cross posted in my prior thread is a supposed Bertrand product identified as such when listed for sale in Warsaw and about seven or eight years ago. I have seen one or two others of these since that time (and may have pictures somewhere that I'll try to dig out), which I believe were also identified as Bertrand crosses:

Virtuti Militari Thread

Of course, it remains entirely possible that the design was substantially revised, such as with the Spink Type 1 and 2, or that the cross sold in Warsaw was not a Bertrand after all. Such are conditions with info regarding the VM, it's either scant, nonexistent, or just plain wrong.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Hello All,

By way of comparison, if you search in this forum you will see my post regarding a French VM that remains a mystery. However, I have received confirmation from a reputable medals dealer and Arthus-Bertrand themselves that they believe it is their product.

I have attached the hallmark on my cross as a way of comparison.

Kind regards,

Brandon
    Virtuti Militari Thread

Hello Everyone,

I found this photograph on the internet which I thought I would share with you Major Adam Wilczynski

Virtuti Militari Thread

The photograph dates between 1931-1939 his awards are Silver Virtuti Militari Cross, Cross of Independence with Swords, Cross of Valour, 1918-1921 War Medal, 10th Anniversary of Independence Medal, British Distinguished Service Order, French War Medal.

Virtuti Militari Thread

close up of his awards.

Best wishes

Andrzej

p.s. click photographs to enlarge in a new page.

?

Latest addition. Near East manufacture
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread   Virtuti Militari Thread  

a77
    ?

Here is my first one.

Regards,
    Andrzej
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread   Virtuti Militari Thread  

Virtuti Militari Thread   Virtuti Militari Thread  

Last edited by a77; 08-22-2015 at 01:31 PM.

Congratulations Andrzej. A fine looking "Middle East" made version. Now, try stopping at just one!

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Hello fellow collectors
    Can anyone provide more info on recipient of # 5446 Virtuti Militari cross, please?
    Thanks

Hello Jaxmon,

Many thanks for your post the recipient of the Virtuti Militari Silver Cross Numbered 5446 is as follows:

Surname: STETKIEWICZ

Christian Name: STANISLAW

Regiment: 7PUL

Date of announcement of award: 17th May 1922

I have looked through the Rocznik Oficerski for 1923, 1924, 1932 and found him listed in the 1923 & 1924 as a Rtm of the Reserve, the 1934 Reserve Officers Yearbook has only 1 Stanislaw Stetkiewicz listed

Surname: STETKIEWICZ

Christian Name: STANISLAW JOZEF IGNACY

Date of Birth: 1st February 1891

In 1934 he was listed as living in ROWNE

I hope that the above is of some help to you Jaxmon

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

huge thanks Andrzej

Page 23 of 70 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast