MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 28 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 ... LastLast

Virtuti Militari Thread

Article about: Hi.It's a virtuti militari thread so I'm just curious.Is that original Polish armed forces in the West virtuti with engraved 1944 date on the back? Cheers.

Hello Simon,

Many thanks for your post with regards to Kazimierz Nowak, Unfortunately I could not find a photograph of him or his awards

Virtuti Militari Thread

What I was able to find was a photograph of Squadron Leader Skarzynski with his crew about to board their Wellington Bomber.

Even Jerzy B Cynk's History of the Polish Air Force in WW2 only mentions him on Page 280 with 305 Sqdn formed at RAF Bramcote on the 29th August 1940. The Flying Crews as of 30 November 1940 list him as Porucznik Observer.

In December 1940 the Squadron moved to their New Base at RAF Syerston and joined 304 Squadron, they were visited on the 27th January 1941 by King George VI and Queen Elizabeth.

24th February 1942 RAF Syerston was visited by the Commander in Chief General Sikorski who inspected both 304 & 305 Squadrons.

On the night of the 25/26th June 1942 Wellington Z8526 took of to take part in the raid of Bremen, the crew that night comprised of Pplk Skarzynski -Pilot, Ppor Jozef Szybka-2nd Pilot, Kpt Kazimierz Nowak-Navigator, Kpr Edward Ruskowski-Gunner, Plut Wladyslaw Szmidt-Gunner.

Simon you no doubt know the rest Hit by Flak they crashed in the North Sea near the coast and where all picked up except Pplk Skarzynski who drowned.

Acting Flight Lieutenant Kazimierz Nowak (P0095, Polish Air Force), Nr 305 Squadron was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross which was approved on the 5th September 1942 (P.R.O. Air 2/9591). Recommendation drafted 30th January 1942 when he had flown 21 Sorties totalling 111 Hours of flight.

F/O Nowak has completed 21 Operational Missions including attacks on Emden, Brest, Mannheim, Berlin and Wilhelmshaven, he has at all times displayed outstanding ability as a Navigator which has ensured the success of the Operations on which he has been engaged.

The skill, fearlessness and devotion to duty shown by this officer have established a high morale in his crew and in his squadron.

Simon the only other piece of information that I was able to find was that he emigrated to Canada in 1947.

I hope that the above information is of some use and help to you Simon

Best wishes

Andrzej

p.s. My Bill is in the post

?

Hi Andrzej,
    As always you provide invaluable information. I am in debt forever here

P.S. I will promptly pay your bill with a handsome tip

Hello Everyone,

Some more faces of Foreign recipients of the Virtuti Militari Cross

Virtuti Militari Thread

General Louis Bernheim Belgian Army awarded the Knights Cross Numbered : 120

Virtuti Militari Thread

General Maurixio Gonzaga Italian Army awarded the Knights Cross Numbered : 125

Virtuti Militari Thread

General Giuseppe Paolini Italian Army awarded the Knights Cross Numbered : 124

Virtuti Militari Thread

General Giuseppe Vaccari Italian Army awarded the Knights Cross Numbered : 126

Commanders Cross Virtuti Militari Recipients :

Virtuti Militari Thread

General Armando Diaz Italian Army Commanders Cross Numbered : 16

Virtuti Militari Thread

General Maxime Weygand French Army Commanders Cross Numbered : 8

Virtuti Militari Thread

Marshal Kawamura Kageaki Japanese Army Commanders Cross Numbered : 15

Virtuti Militari Thread

Marshal Oku Yasukata Japanese Army Commanders Cross Numbered : 14

Grand Cross Virtuti Militari Recipient :

Virtuti Militari Thread

King Aleksander 1 of Yugoslavia Grand Cross Numbered : 5 (Portrait of the King wearing the Star of the Order Virtuti Militari)

Best wishes

Andrzej

p.s. click on photographs to enlarge in a new page

Hello Everyone,

A few more Faces of Foreign Recipients of the Virtuti Militari found on the internet.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Yugoslavian General Petar Pesic VM Gold Cross Nr: 523

Virtuti Militari Thread

Estonian General Johan Laidoner VM Silver Cross Nr: 6087, OOP Commanders Cross with Star.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Latvian General Peteris Radzins VM Silver Cross Nr: 6161.

That's all, to enlarge the photographs click on them to open in a new page.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hi, my step-father is the only child of W/Cdr Teofil Pozyczka. He is in possession of his medals group.

Sorry, I meant to say I'm new to the group!! I would be most grateful to read any additional information on Teofil Pozyczka and will likewise share any information that we have.

Hello Basicali,

May I be the first to welcome you to the Forum, no doubt some one will post more information on Teofil Pozyczka.

Once again welcome to the Forum.

Best wishes

Andrew

Hello Basicali,

I have been able to find the following information on Andrzej's Father Teofil Pozyczka VM, KW x 4 D.S.O., D.F.C.

Teofil was born on the 27th April 1912 in Radom, he attended both Primary and Secondary Schools in the city, he joined the Polish Air Force in 1935 Technical Group, graduated in 1937 with the rank of Podporucznik and posted to Deblin Air Force Training School as a maintenance officer.

After he escaped from Poland to Romania he then like many other Polish flyers made his way via Lebanon to France after General Sikorski signed the treaty with the British Prime Minister Winston Churchill it allowed Pilots and Ground Crew to come to the UK to train Teofil was one of those.

He arrived at RAF Eastchurch on the 27th January 1940, for basic training, he was then posted to 15 EFTS at RAF Redhill on the 15th May 1940, and then onto 10 OTU at RAF Hucknall on the 11th June 1940. This was just a few weeks before Teofil was posted to 301 Squadron on the 7th July 1940, he flew with the Squadron for nearly 2 years befors being transferred to 18 OTU at RAF Bramcote.

On the 19th January 1944 Teofil was transferred to 301 Squadron,stationed at RAF Ingham in Lincolnshire, he assumed command of the Squadron on the 2nd April 1944 until 31st January 1945. When he was again transferred this time to the Operations Room of Number 1 Group Bomber Command, he stayed there for 12 weeks before being transferred once again this time to 301 Squadron.

Teofil commanded the Squadron from the 2nd May 1945 until its disbandment on the 18th December 1946.

Teofil Pozyczka Service Number 76737 was awarded the Virtuti Militari Silver Cross numbered 9128, plus the Cross of Valour with 3 Bars, and the British Distinguished Service Order and Distinguished Flying Cross.

Teofil's Service Record is held by the PISM in London, it would be worth booking an appointment for the reading room and obtaining a photocopy of his service record. If you cannot make it to London then the PISM charge £25.00p for looking for the record plus the charge of photocopying it etc.

Over the years I have obtained the service record of Kpt. pil. Jan Kowalski 303 Sqdn, Squadron Leader Marian Trzebinski 317 Sqdn. and W/Cdr Kazimierz Kuzian D.F.C. all from the PISM.

That is all that I could tell you about Teofil's service during WW2, I know that he stayed in the RAF after the war from his GSM with Bar Malaya.

I hope that the above information is of some help to you and Andrzej.

Best wishes

Andrzej

p.s. shown below some photographs of Teofil during WW2.

Virtuti Militari Thread

After receiving the Distinguished Flying Cross

Virtuti Militari Thread

Prior to the ceremony

Virtuti Militari Thread

Teofil Pozyczka.

p.s. Click the photographs to enlarge in a new window.

awards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread   Virtuti Militari Thread  

Virtuti Militari Thread   Virtuti Militari Thread  

and few additional pictures
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread   Virtuti Militari Thread  

Virtuti Militari Thread  

Page 28 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 ... LastLast