Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast

Virtuti Militari Thread

Article about: Hi.It's a virtuti militari thread so I'm just curious.Is that original Polish armed forces in the West virtuti with engraved 1944 date on the back? Cheers.

Default re: Virtuti Militari Thread

OR-OT "Wiarus" 1930
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread  

Hello Mariusz,

Thank you for posting this. Are you able to provide an English translation for our non-Polish speaking members?

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

VM found during exhumations in Charkowie in 1991-1996
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread   Virtuti Militari Thread  

Attached Images Attached Images Virtuti Militari Thread  Virtuti Militari Thread 

Hi could someone with same time and skill translate that poem to English

Quote by Mariusz View Post
    VM found during exhumations in Charkowie in 1991-1996
    Thank you for the pictures Mariusz.

For those that may not be aware of the significance of Charków (now Charkiv, Ukraine), this is the site to which approx. 4,200 Polish military officers and intellectuals were transported to in April and May of 1940 from the prison camp at Starobielsk. Here they were murdered by the Soviet NKVD as part of what is commonly called “The Katyn massacre”, although the Katyn forest was but one of the killing sites where an estimated 22,000 members of the Polish ‘intelligentsia’ were murdered.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

I have found great book
    _Kawalerowie Orderu Virtuti Mimitari w mogilach katyńskich_
    There is 327 stories of great polish heroes, I wish all people would got to know a stores of our heroes. Her is one of them. I wish it was in English.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread   Virtuti Militari Thread  

Quote by Mariusz View Post
    I have found great book
    _Kawalerowie Orderu Virtuti Mimitari w mogilach katyńskich_
    There is 327 stories of great polish heroes, I wish all people would got to know a stores of our heroes. Her is one of them. I wish it was in English.
    Agreed Mariusz. Excellent book, as is the companion book that exhaustively lists all of those murdered at Katyń Forest, providing a brief biography and photographs where available. It is a very sobering experience looking through these books and seeing page after page the faces of those thousands murdered so brutally by a totalitarian regime. One can only hope that humanity learns from this and other such horrific crimes and does not allow history to repeat itself.

Here’s my translation of the account for which Infantry Captain Józef Wiktor Muszyński was awarded the 5th Class of the Virtuti Militari:

On Sept 17 (1920) the ‘Guard’ Company received the assignment to attack the villages of Duchnów and Ruda. 3rd Platoon Sergeant Muszyński covered the right wing and with limited cover attacked the enemy while not leaving his wing exposed. Near the village of Ruda he singlehandedly attacked a Bolshevik company forcing them to surrender. Sergeant Muszyński displayed great courage and willingness to sacrifice his life, much self reliance and concern for others.

The write up goes on to say:

In September 1939 he was taken into Soviet captivity, imprisoned in Starobielsk, and murdered in Charków.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread  

Hi Tony beautiful cross, can you tell me what the dye stamp mark is i cant make it out from the picture.

Thank you
    Robert

I'am Pole and I know english a bit.
    My grandfather was born in USA then his family moved to Wilno(they were Poles ) .He fought lately in 1939 against germnan invasion.He was a war prisoner but run from the prison camp and join AK where he fought to the end of war , participating in a lot of actions at Wileńszczyzna.I can try to translate the poem which mariusz put here ( wont be best translation in the world but I can try )

Virtuti Militari

Black-blue ribbon
    Silver cross attached to it
    Virtuti Militari
    Whad does it mean?Do you know?

It means soldier's virtue
    Noble dreams about it
    You can earn this cross by
    misprision of death by blood

Who fight bravely in combat
    Going on the cannon's metal ( hard to translate this one )
    The Fatherland will give him
    Soldier's virtue cross

Streamers and standards
    victoriously whisper around
    And he 's taking this gift of the gifts
    from Fatherland's hands

Respect this chest on which
    shines this holy sign
    And ask God in prayers
    to earn like him

To commander-in-chief
    on your chest tack it
    Virtuti cross, earned by
    misprision of death and blood...

I know my english is not best but tried to translate as good as I can .
    Cheers.

Quote by Semper Fidelis View Post
    I'am Pole and I know english a bit.
    . . . I know my english is not best but tried to translate as good as I can .
    Cheers.
    Hi Semper,

Thank you for your effort with this. You have done the hard work, now please allow me to slightly refine your translation. Both of my parents immigrated from Poland to Canada, where I was born. So even though I was ‘forced’ to speak Polish at home growing up, my language skills aren’t perfect by any stretch. But armed with my trusty Oxford słownik I can slog my way through most of the obstacles . . .

Virtuti Militari

Black with blue ribbon
    And on her a silver cross
    Virtuti Militari
    What does it signify? Do you know?

It symbolizes soldierly virtue
    Of which nobility dreams
    A Cross that can be earned
    Contempt for death, by blood

Those who bravely stand in combat
    Along with cannon metal - (agreed, not easy to translate!)
    To those the Fatherland will award
    The Soldier's Cross of Virtue

Streamers and standards
    Victoriously whisper all around
    As he accepts the gift of gifts
    From the hands of the Fatherland

Revere the chest on which
    Gleams this holy symbol
    And prayerfully petition God
    That you this would also achieve

That the commander on the field of glory
    Onto your chest would fasten this
    Virtuti Cross, earned through
    Contempt for death, by blood

I welcome any further refinements.

Cheers,
    Tony

Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast