Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 70 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Virtuti Militari Thread

Article about: Hi.It's a virtuti militari thread so I'm just curious.Is that original Polish armed forces in the West virtuti with engraved 1944 date on the back? Cheers.

Default Virtuti Militari Thread

Hi.
    I've checked the site and I think that the highest polish military decoration should have it's own thread. We could gather as many photos of different variations of virtuti militari as we can.I will start.I'm owner of this pre war made wtórnik on original pre war ribbon - maybe any thoughts about the maker?Hope you enjoy mine- it's the only pre war virtuti I own and I would love to know the maker.

Show yours virtuti !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread   Virtuti Militari Thread  

Default re: Virtuti Militari Thread

Great idea ... just wish there was an easy way to transfer all the V.M. images and references that already exist in different threads to this new V.M. specific thread which is deserving of its own space.

Anyone know if the V.M. style cross has its own name in Polish heraldry. To my mind it looks like a variant of the Maltese cross?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

3mk
    ?

Thats a very nice example!

I maybe wrong but I think its a Jan Knedler cross

I dream of owning a cross like that

ccj
    ?

PLEASE DELETE. Wrong VM picture top right...........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread   Virtuti Militari Thread  

Virtuti Militari Thread  

ccj
    ?

Here's my issue VM5

Virtuti Militari Thread  

ccj
    ?

Purchase Cross VM5 in silver

I'm not sure of the maker

one interesting question about wtórnik.Let's say that it's 1935 now.I'am in the Warsaw just saw Mr.Knedler's shop I went into this shop and say "I would like to order 2 virtuti militari crosses please.(I was never awarded so I do not owe any confirmations )Will he just say something like "Ok it will be 40 zloties?" or "Your legitimacy or diploma please"

Just curious about how it worked with buying wtórnik.

Quote by ccj View Post
    Purchase Cross VM5 in silver

I'm not sure of the maker
    ccj, this VM bears characteristics of both Knedler and also Owczarski crosses, but I can’t pinpoint the exact maker. Both makers were known to mark their products, especially the ones made from silver which were required by law to be proof marked. Less costly versions made in white metal were not required to carry silver marks, and it’s possible that even the maker’s ID was dropped as a result.

As an aside, that ribbon ring is very unusual to be found on a pre-war cross. There’s a possibility that it has been added.

Nice crosses. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Regards,
    Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images Virtuti Militari Thread 
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

ccj
    ?

Here's my other VM. This one is SILBER and maker marked.

Virtuti Militari Thread   Virtuti Militari Thread  

Virtuti Militari Thread   Virtuti Militari Thread  

Quote by ccj View Post
    Here's my other VM. This one is SILBER and maker marked.
    That’s a real beauty Charles. Thanks for the detailed pics. This is a Wiktor Gontarczyk product. While one of the most prolific of the pre-war badge makers, his VM products are seldom seen. I have read that Gontarczyk had an arrangement to use fellow Warsaw based maker Jan Knedler’s VM dies, and this cross would be solid evidence supporting this. Picture of my Knedler cross posted below for comparison.

To address a couple of excellent questions posted earlier:

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    Anyone know if the V.M. style cross has its own name in Polish heraldry. To my mind it looks like a variant of the Maltese cross?
    This one sent me digging through several books, but I was unable to find anything specific about the design origins and any heraldic connections. The cross does have a unique and distinctive shape, especially with the addition of the ball ends. Definitely inspired by the Maltese (or St. John’s) cross, but a departure with its “pattéed” design influences . The Order of Poland Restored (Polonia Restitita) adheres more closely to the purest form of the Maltese cross. Great question. I’ll keep my eyes open for more information.

Quote by Semper Fidelis View Post
    . . . it's 1935 now.I'am in the Warsaw just saw Mr.Knedler's shop I went into this shop and say "I would like to order 2 virtuti militari crosses please.(I was never awarded so I do not owe any confirmations )Will he just say something like "Ok it will be 40 zloties?" or "Your legitimacy or diploma please"
    To my understanding it was illegal in pre-war Poland to be in possession of national decorations one was not entitled to. I’m not certain what exceptions existed for family members who owned decorations of ancestors, but I am confident that one could not simply order Virtuti Militari crosses without any documentation. The Virtuti Militari along with other decorations entitled one to special privileges ranging from property rights, pensions, health care, employment through to travel cost discounts.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 1 of 70 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast