Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

What is this badge?

Article about: Hello Gentlemen Can anyone tell me what this badge is. I suspect that it isn't PSZ, pre war perhaps so it may be in the wrong section. All comments most welcome Many thanks James

Default What is this badge?

Hello Gentlemen
    Can anyone tell me what this badge is. I suspect that it isn't PSZ, pre war perhaps so it may be in the wrong section.
    All comments most welcome
    Many thanks
    James
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is this badge?  

Default Re: What is this badge?

Only a guess but a Machine Gun battalion would seem likely.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Only a guess but a Machine Gun battalion would seem likely.
    That was my thought too - is it anything to do with 5 CKM perhaps? I couldn't find any reference to it in the Wojciechowski/Sawicki book which made me wonder if it was pre war. It isn't a collar badge is it? Wrong shape?

Looks more like an upper sleeve flash but can't tell the size from the photo.

James, your gut feel was correct, this is a pre-war Polish badge. It served two purposes. From 1919-1930 it identified a soldier as belonging to a machine gun company or squadron. From 1932-1939 it was reintroduced as an award to proficient machine gunners. The addition of a bar below indicating an especially skilled machine gunner.

The photo of three young Border Defense Corps (KOP) soldiers shows both grades of the badge, dating the photo to post 1931.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is this badge?   What is this badge?  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thanks everyone. Great to see the badges in wear. Big aren't they.

Thanks Tony for taking the time to post so much info.

All the best

James

Not a problem James. Here's another interetsing image I had in my archives showing variations of the badge.

Regards,
    T.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is this badge?  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Fascinating - many thanks for sharing