Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wz28 Polish helmet near mint

Article about: Here is one I've never posted, I didn't know what it was for a while but managed to read the little welded on tag at the back, "Ludwików kielce 1939", a few googles later and voila

Default Wz28 Polish helmet near mint

Here is one I've never posted, I didn't know what it was for a while but managed to read the little welded on tag at the back, "Ludwików kielce 1939", a few googles later and voila, Polish Wz28

Apparently these were assessed and rejected by the army and used for other duties, but I cannot find another one anywhere with the German / Austrian style horn vents. I hope you like it, anyone seen this before, I think it is pretty uncommon? If anyone can comment on the usage on this particular type of helmet I would love to know.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polish1.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	288247Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polish2.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	288248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polish3.jpg 
Views:	1078 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	288249Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polish4.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	288250Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polish5.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	288251Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polish6.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	197.2 KB 
ID:	288252Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polish7.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	184.4 KB 
ID:	288253Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polish8.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	152.3 KB 
ID:	288254Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polish9.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	218.7 KB 
ID:	288255Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tag.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	288256

The buckle looks like the Czech type but the paint on it matches the shell perfectly....

Default Re: Wz28 Polish helmet near mint

I've seen it somewhere before but i cant be sure, maybe from one of the few Motorized Divisions in the Polish Army, also the Policja Państwowa used something quite similar for riot gear in the IIRP.

Thanks for the info! The helmet in the book seems to be marked Wz16 though, would that be the same as a German M16?

Wz short for Wzór means model/type so i think it the Polish version of the M16 model..... Where did you get it?

Helmet comes from England, I bought it from a man who told me it was Bulgarian, but I never thought that was the case. How much do you think this one might be worth? I'm more familiar with German helmets

The Poles used German and Austrian M16/M17 helmets in the 10th BK. Kradspam - if the seller thought it was a Bulgarian helmet, I wonder if it could be an export Polish helmet?

I had the chance it was an export suggested on another forum, but to be honest I just don't know. I can't find another one like this anywhere on the web! A member on GHW has one of these though I am waiting for pics with interest.

Try posting in the World Steel Helmets forum here on War Relics. I received quite a bit of help to my inquiries there. Also in the Axis Militaria and Related subforum of the German Militaria 1939-1945 forum.
    Last edited by dastier; 01-06-2012 at 11:21 PM.

It is not wz.28 helmet it may be a little modified wz.35 paramilitary helmet - they were used by the civil anti-aircraft defense (OPL) and firemen ... color is very uncommon, same as german WW1 style "horns". Perhaps some german wartime modification ? But to be honest for me it looks as a modern modification of normal wz.35 to act as a pre war wz.28. There are other misatkes also, but it's better not to mention about them just in case producer notice them Wz.35 opposite to wz.28 has a folded/curved rant. Here are the samples:

Original wz.28:

wz.35 - firemen version with characteristic top:

Sample of wz.28 in very good contition:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast