12 Ulans - Who is this soldier

Article about: Good day gentlemen I recently acquired this document. I'd like to try to find out a little more about this soldier. I can't actually make out the name. Kowalski Morrizic?? Many thanks James

Default 12 Ulans - Who is this soldier

Good day gentlemen

I recently acquired this document. I'd like to try to find out a little more about this soldier.

I can't actually make out the name. Kowalski Morrizic??

Many thanks

James
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060636.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	204.7 KB 
ID:	954813   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060635.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	206.5 KB 
ID:	954814  

?

Quote by jamest8 View Post
    Good day gentlemen

I recently acquired this document. I'd like to try to find out a little more about this soldier.

I can't actually make out the name. Kowalski Morrizic??

Many thanks

James
    I would say it is MARIAN

Hello James,

Unfortunately I could not find any information on Podporucznik Kowalski, there where 3 Marian Kowalski's awarded the MCC 2 were artillerymen and the other was a Lance Corporal in the 22 Transport Company.

I have also checked Stankiewicz's list for the 3DSK and only found 2 Kowalski's listed serving with 12PUL.

I then checked both Find my past and Ancestry and was able to find the deaths of only 3 Marian Kowalski's listed :

1) Marian Kowalski born 15th January 1911, died 4th Quarter of 1973 aged 62 in Manchester Registrar's Volume 10e Page 409.

2) Marian Cyprian Kowalski born 26th September 1908, died 4th Quarter of 1974 aged 66 in Congleton & Crewe, Cheshire Volume 35 Page 0328.

3) Marian Kowalski, born 1st February 1915, died 1st Quarter 1982 aged 67, in Enfield, London, Volume 12, Page 0678.

Unfortunately that is all that I have been able to find for you.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hi Andrzej and Jaxmon

Thank you both for your comments. Andrzej, because this person can't be found it is possible that this is a fake document or is it just a case of incomplete records?

James

Hello James,

With regards to the 12PULP Legitymacja to Ppor Marian Kowalski, the Monte Cassino Cross Recipients list are complete, what it could be is that this officer joined the Regiment after the Battle for Monte Cassino, Stankiewicz's records could be incomplete the only way of knowing would be to book a visit to the PISM reading room and go through what records they have for the 12PULP.

If you do decide to go ask to look through the (I think its 4 or 5 Folders) for the 2nd Corps awarded the Medal Wojska. This would provide proof of his Regiment and his Date of Birth and Army Number.

By the way I did also check to see if he might have been killed later in the war or even shortly after with no joy.

I did also come across this Legitymacja on the internet for you to compare James.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12PULP Legit obv.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	955221

Obverse of the Legitymacja

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12PULP Legit rev.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	955222

Reverse of the Legitymacja