Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1st. Grenadier Division

Article about: sleuth time. I have been forwarded this image to identify the unit. apparently the full photograph which is of the 2" x 2" variety depicts a group of squaddies stood together with

Default 1st. Grenadier Division

sleuth time. I have been forwarded this image to identify the unit. apparently the full photograph which is of the 2" x 2" variety depicts a group of squaddies stood together with only one chap wearing insignia on his battledress. although of poor quality the photo reveals that the formation badge is the 1st. Grenadier Division. the mystery is the sign beneath the flaming grenade. it looks like a number one on a circular background. I have requested a better image. so dear colleagues....................................?
    Attached Images Attached Images 1st. Grenadier Division 

Hi,
    Maybe it is "Mid Western District" patch given to 3rd Greandier Bn?

1st. Grenadier Division

Greetings
    Rafal

a mystery to be sure. probably a dead end with this one.

I think Rafal could be right!...

I somehow overlooked this thread. I'd agree, Rafal is likely correct. That would've been my thought as well.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

maybe.............................mmmmmmmmmmmm. the Prince of Wales's feathers, in red, on a dark green circle,was the badge of North Wales district, which was raised with its H.Q. at Shrewsbury. It consisted of the six counties of North Wales.These were Anglesey, Caernarvan, Denbigh, Flint, Montgomery and Merioneth, and the border county of Shropshire.The district was redesignated Midland West District in 1944 when part of the former West Lancashire District was absorbed into its boundaries. Now, given that there is quite a few miles between Wales and Scotland it seems strange that the Division would wear this sign. Is there evidence to support the theory ? Was there an association with the Division and Wales ?

It should be pointed out that the soldier in the photo displaying the flaming grenade insignia of the 1st Grenadiers Division is actually serving in the 4th Infantry Division. This division, formed following the dissolution of the 1st Rifles Brigade, adopted this insignia. The division never did come up to full strength and remained stationed in Scotland for the duration of the war. As Rafal pointed out, the Prince of Wales Feathers was the honorary insignia of the 3rd Grenadier Battalion of the division, authorized September 1, 1946. Despite the lack of visible detail, judging from the scale of the insignia along with the location it is a safe bet that's exactly what it is. As to why an insignia with a Welsh connection was selected, that's a really good question!

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

always something new under the sun ! maybe some obscure Celtic connection.