Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

1st Polish Armoured Division Vehicle Flag - ?

Article about: This flag was acquired as part of a larger grouping of personal items belonging to an officer of the 1st Anti-Tank Regiment of the 1st Armoured Division. It was supposedly a souvenir kept fr

Default 1st Polish Armoured Division Vehicle Flag - ?

This flag was acquired as part of a larger grouping of personal items belonging to an officer of the 1st Anti-Tank Regiment of the 1st Armoured Division. It was supposedly a souvenir kept from his WW2 military service. It is made of a double layer of cotton type fabric and measures 16½ x 12½ inches (~42cm x 32cm). This seems a little large to be a car flag, but I do not know if flags fastened to military vehicles were regulated to be a specific size.

I am also curious about the fastening system, and whether this is typical of vehicle flags. I do know that this is how banners were suspended from military marching band instruments, such as trumpets and kettle drum drapes.

By chance does anyone have any info or period photographs showing flags used on passenger cars, or maybe even armoured vehicles on parade?

Many thanks,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1st Polish Armoured Division Vehicle Flag - ?   1st Polish Armoured Division Vehicle Flag - ?  

1st Polish Armoured Division Vehicle Flag - ?  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Default Re: 1st Polish Armoured Division Vehicle Flag - ?

Tony,
    Hello. I have got only one flag with a grouping. But I have never known if this flag was used on a vehicle or not...The polish officer was dead whan I got the lot.
    The flag is smaller than yours. You can see it on the picture, compare with the "wounded bar".
    I know, like you all, that there are flags drawn in the regimental book for 10th PSK. Probably there are pictures from WW2. I will have a look.
    ZP
    1° D.B. Polonaise du Général Maczek

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hey Tony here's an image for comparison. It's Gen Rakowski's jeep, id say the flag's width is close. It's drooped and appears to be double sided, possibly the mailed fist & sword symbol of the division on the opposite.

Chris............
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1st Polish Armoured Division Vehicle Flag - ?  

Many thanks guys!

Stephane, love that 10th Armoured Brigade HQ flag. Wonderful piece!

Chris, super pic. Thanks. Hope to see more.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Your welcome Tony.
    Here's one more. You can just make out a similar flag (upside down?) beside the hood of this White Scout Car carrying Anders & I think Sikorski during an inspection of the 2nd Armoured Brigade in Palestine 1943.

Chris.......
    Attached Images Attached Images 1st Polish Armoured Division Vehicle Flag - ? 

Many thanks again Chris. Keep ‘em coming!

Cheers,
    Tony

Your welcome Tony

Another interesting photo, note the the three national flags on the limousine's bonnet. Polish flag can be discerned in the middle. Taken approx April 1946. Gen Rakowski is greeting Generals John Lee & Anders at 9 Company Workshops and brigade workshops. I'm thinking the earlier photo in Palestine where it seems the flag is upside down is more likely a pennant which I've noticed in other photos as having the dark portion on top.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1st Polish Armoured Division Vehicle Flag - ?  

Thanks again Chris for your diligent effort in digging up these pics. It sure would be good to see a close up photo of the flags here. But as they say, beggars can’t be choosers!

Regards,
    Tony

Hey Tony no worries, I've a few images that I'd taken for granted till now. Here are four more, one shows how a pennant is fastened to a radio aerial (3 laces like your flag). The others are on Ander's staff car which looks like a eagle standard (if that's the correct description), the only ones I've seen so far. Hope that gives you a little more variety. No close ups unfortunatly.

Chris............
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1st Polish Armoured Division Vehicle Flag - ?   1st Polish Armoured Division Vehicle Flag - ?  

1st Polish Armoured Division Vehicle Flag - ?   1st Polish Armoured Division Vehicle Flag - ?  

Yet again Chris, dzięki

The lace fastening on that aerial flag is good to see

Quote by ChrisW01 View Post
    . . . The others are on Anders staff car which looks like a eagle standard (if that's the correct description), the only ones I've seen so far . . .
    Yes, the national eagle within general's "wężyk". Posted below is a picture of General Maczek's staff car, and the flag from the Sikorski Museum. (sorry about the distorted scan).

Cheers,
    Tony