Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

1st Polish Parachute Brigade 23 Sept 1941 - Trying to identify signatures on first parachute wings parade.

Article about: Greetings, I have a "program" from the first wings parade conducted by the 1st Polish Parachute Brigade on 23 Sept 1941. (see scans) I am trying to identify the signatures that are

Default 1st Polish Parachute Brigade 23 Sept 1941 - Trying to identify signatures on first parachute wings parade.

1st Polish Parachute Brigade 23 Sept 1941 - Trying to identify signatures on first parachute wings parade.1st Polish Parachute Brigade 23 Sept 1941 - Trying to identify signatures on first parachute wings parade.1st Polish Parachute Brigade 23 Sept 1941 - Trying to identify signatures on first parachute wings parade.1st Polish Parachute Brigade 23 Sept 1941 - Trying to identify signatures on first parachute wings parade.

Greetings,
    I have a "program" from the first wings parade conducted by the 1st Polish Parachute Brigade on 23 Sept 1941. (see scans)
    I am trying to identify the signatures that are on the last page. I have managed to confirm that the top signature is that of the then
    Col S. Sosobowski as I have compared it to a 1966 signatured photograph that was on the program for the 25th anniversery banquet of the American Polish Parachute Association (see scan). I have checked the other signatures against the names of the Polish fallen at Arnhem, the Polish parachute instructors at Ringway and against the published names of the Ex Polish Paratroopers in the programs for their 1966 and 1971 Anniversary functions. I have also looked up British Airborne personnel that may have attended the inaugural parade as some of the signatures may be of British personnel. I am guessing that they may be of some of the soldiers that received their wings that day.
    I believe there is a list of all Polish Parachute personnel that were para qualified in the UK between 1941 and 1944 in one of the Polish Airborne books but I do not have access to it. I also can't read Polish. Any assistance you may provide would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Supertrooper7,

May I take this opertunity to welcome you to the forum,

I have been able to find one of the signatures details, as you look at them the bottom right signature belongs to Podpulkownik Marcin Rotter who was awarded the Polish Parachute Brigade Badge Numbered: 3486 with Combat wreath Nr: 1356.

I will keep looking and let you know if I find any of the others.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

?

A photo of Marcin Rotter, shortly after being taken POW on the north side of the Rhine.
    (Original photo source - The Airborne Museum Oosterbeek.)

Gary J.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1st Polish Parachute Brigade 23 Sept 1941 - Trying to identify signatures on first parachute wings parade.  

Quote by andrzejku98 View Post
    Hello Supertrooper7,

May I take this opertunity to welcome you to the forum,

I have been able to find one of the signatures details, as you look at them the bottom right signature belongs to Podpulkownik Marcin Rotter who was awarded the Polish Parachute Brigade Badge Numbered: 3486 with Combat wreath Nr: 1356.

I will keep looking and let you know if I find any of the others.

Best wishes

Andrzejku
    Hi Andrzejku,
    Many thanks for such a quick response, and for your information. I looked up Marcin Rotter and it appears he was awarded a Krzyz Walecznych at Arnhem in 1944. This is really getting interesting. I am really appreciative of your assistance.
    Many thanks.

Regards
    Nigel

Hello supertrooper7,
    below Sosabowski's signature (middle) you have signature of Colonel Roman Saloni, then deputy commander of 4th Cadre Rifle Brigade (predecessor of 1 SBS), to the left there is signature of Lt Colonel Wilhelm Heinrich, then Chief of Section of Studies and Training for Airborne Forces (Wydział Studiów i Szkolenia Wojsk Spadochronowych) in a 3rd Department of Staff of Chief-in-Commander (Oddział III Sztabu Naczelnego Wodza), to be continued. Will try to find more....
    Regards,
    Mateusz

Quote by Mateusz Mroz View Post
    Hello supertrooper7,
    below Sosabowski's signature (middle) you have signature of Colonel Roman Saloni, then deputy commander of 4th Cadre Rifle Brigade (predecessor of 1 SBS), to the left there is signature of Lt Colonel Wilhelm Heinrich, then Chief of Section of Studies and Training for Airborne Forces (Wydział Studiów i Szkolenia Wojsk Spadochronowych) in a 3rd Department of Staff of Chief-in-Commander (Oddział III Sztabu Naczelnego Wodza), to be continued. Will try to find more....
    Regards,
    Mateusz
    Hi Mateusz,
    Many thanks for your efforts and the great information, it is much appreciated.
    Regards
    Nigel

Hi Nigel,
    I tried to decipher three other signatures. The only one I can read is one on the right J.Kozlowski mjr - this can be major Jerzy Kozlowski. I don't know what was his post then. In the beginning of war he was appointed as a retired soldier to the 19 Wolynski Uhlans Regiment (19 Pułk Ułanów Wołyńskich). He was born 20.01.1898. Was awarded as second Lt Virtuti Militari for War with Bolsheviks in 1920. That was all I found. Maybe someone can add more.
    Regards,
    Mateusz

Quote by Mateusz Mroz View Post
    Hi Nigel,
    I tried to decipher three other signatures. The only one I can read is one on the right J.Kozlowski mjr - this can be major Jerzy Kozlowski. I don't know what was his post then. In the beginning of war he was appointed as a retired soldier to the 19 Wolynski Uhlans Regiment (19 Pułk Ułanów Wołyńskich). He was born 20.01.1898. Was awarded as second Lt Virtuti Militari for War with Bolsheviks in 1920. That was all I found. Maybe someone can add more.
    Regards,
    Mateusz
    Hi Mateusz,
    Many thanks again for your efforts in identifying another signature on the document.
    I am finding this research quite facinating. Does anyone else have any information on
    what happened at the 23 Sept 1941 parade on the day and has any one else seen a similar program?
    Regards
    Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I have gone through the following books "Rocznik Oficerski" (Officers Yearbooks) for the following years: 1923. 1924. 1928, 1930 (Cavalry Officers only), 1932, & 1934 Reserve Officers.

In the 1923 there where 2 Jerzy Kozlowski's listed Nr: I , had a date of birth given as 17th November 1878), just on the date I ruled him out.

Nr:II had a date of birth given has 7th January 1898, this Jerzy Kozlowski served as a Porucznik in the 19th Cavalry Regiment (19PUL), he was also listed as being awarded the KW (Cross of Valour)

1924: Still listed with 19PUL also with the same date of birth and with the KW.

1928: still a Porucznik serving with 19PUL also with KW, but with an altered date of birth: 20th January 1898.

1930 Cavalry Officers Yearbook: Listed as a Porucznik 19PUL with date of birth: 20th January 1898.

1932 Officers Yearbook: Now a Rotmistrz (Captain of Horse) (Promoted 1st Jan 1931) serving with 19PUL attached to the Military School in Warsaw.

1934 Reserve Officers Yearbook: No listing for Jerzy II found.

That's all that I could find on Jerzy Kozlowski, I hope that it helps.

Best wishes

Andrzejku