Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

4th Armoured Regiment “Skorpion”

Article about: Dear all, My name is Artem Suchojda, I’m from Belarus. For several years my father and I looking for information regarding military service of JAN SUCHOJDA (my great-grandfather) during the

Default 4th Armoured Regiment “Skorpion”

Dear all,

My name is Artem Suchojda, I’m from Belarus. For several years my father and I looking for information regarding military service of JAN SUCHOJDA (my great-grandfather) during the WW II. The most interesting period for us is his service in 2nd Polish Corps and participation in Italian campaign.
    Thanks to help provided by members of War Relics Forum and based on our own researches, I can make the following summary:

Lance corporal JAN SUCHOJDA (born 1910, Army Number: 1910-58-III) served in 2nd Squadron, 4th Armoured Regiment “Skorpion” (Skorpion Breast badge # 528). Took part in Monte Cassino, Ancona and Bologna battles.
    Whilst serving with the 4th Armoured Regiment was awarded the BKZzM (Bronze Cross of Merit with Swords) and Monte Cassino cross # 29561. After WW II stayed in Italy (Capua, province of Caserta). In 1973 came back to BSSR where died in 1976.

I kindly ask for your help in searching for information regarding tank crew JAN SUCHOJDA served in. It would be great if I could found out the name of tank as well. As I know, private names of Shermans in 2nd squadron began with “P”. As I understood there is no crew list, but I guess some documents that indicated the moving from one crew to another or from squadron to squadron, for example, should be. It's hard to believe that soldier was not assigned to exact unit.

Second question is my great-grandfather’s decorations. After his death, Bronze Cross of Merit with Swords and Monte Cassino cross was lost. I’d like to find them. I understand that this is not an easy task, like a needle in a haystack, but miracles happen. BKZzM had no number so I can buy it on ebay, for example, but I need your advice regarding Monte Cassino cross – how to find the original one? Just checking auctions like ebay or allegro from time to time?
    Any of your help (advices, information, pictures, contacts, etc.) in regards to the topic abowe is very much needed.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
    Artem

TMZ
    ?

Hello Artem,

have you tried contacting Polish Institute and Sikorski Museum in London?

PISM Home Page

They hold the document archives of II Corps and can conduct a search if you pay them a small fee.

Also maybe join the WW2 - 2 Korpus Polski group on Facebook. There are some members there who have deep knowledge of tanks.

Regards,

Ted

Quote by TMZ View Post
    Hello Artem,

have you tried contacting Polish Institute and Sikorski Museum in London?

PISM Home Page

They hold the document archives of II Corps and can conduct a search if you pay them a small fee.

Also maybe join the WW2 - 2 Korpus Polski group on Facebook. There are some members there who have deep knowledge of tanks.

Regards,

Ted
    Hello Ted,

No, I'm planning to contact them, hope they have information I need.
    10 or 12 years ago my father received copy of Book of military records (Zeszyt Ewidencyjny) and extract from the archives from UK Ministry of Defence. There were a lo of useful information but nothing regarding tank crew or something similar.

Yes, you are right - topic branch on Facebook good idea. Thank you!

Best regards,
    Artem

Artem,

As a curiosity, I found a mention of your great-grandfather in the Chronicle of 2nd Squadron 4th Armoured Regiment "Skorpion".

Link to the Chronicle: Sign in to your account

4th Armoured Regiment “Skorpion”

Note from 1946:
    "Dnia 13.III Środa. Powrócił z urlopu st. panc. Suchojda Jan"
    "Wednesday, March 13. Returned from vacation Lance Corporal Suchojda Jan"

He was probably on vacation in Rome. In the note of Monday, March 11 there is information that three privates went on vacation to Rome on that day.

Regards
    Konrad
    Last edited by conrado; 01-27-2020 at 08:20 PM.

Quote by conrado View Post
    Artem,

As a curiosity, I found a mention of your great-grandfather in the Chronicle of 2nd Squadron 4th Armoured Regiment "Skorpion".

Note from 1946:
    "Dnia 13.III Środa. Powrócił z urlopu st. panc. Suchojda Jan"
    "Wednesday, March 13. Returned from vacation Lance Corporal Suchojda Jan"

He was probably on vacation in Rome. In the note of Monday, March 11 there is information that three privates went on vacation to Rome on that day.

Regards
    Konrad
    Dear Konrad,

Many thanks for this information! This one more reason why I should send request to PISM. Small details help to set a search direction.

Best regards,
    Artem