Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

4th Skorpion collar pennons.

Article about: Hello my name is Chris and I am new to the forum. After reading many posts regarding Polish militaria and history though I'd join and post pictures of the only items of Polish uniform I have

Default 4th Skorpion collar pennons.

Hello my name is Chris and I am new to the forum. After reading many posts regarding Polish militaria and history though I'd join and post pictures of the only items of Polish uniform I have. These collar pennons belonged to my great uncle who was tank mechanic in the LAD of the 4th Skorpion Armoured regiments No.3 Squadron. He brought these with him when he came to Canada in 1947. Have also included a picture of my uncle as I have a question regarding cap badges. In the photo the man on left appearing to carry a swagger stick is my uncle Michal Krzywoszanski, officer in the middle is No.2 Squadron Commander Captain Wladyslaw Drelicharz KIA 21 Nov 1944. What is the little rectangular badge beneath their eagle cap badges?

Thanks in advance

Regards
    Chris.............
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 4th Skorpion collar pennons.   4th Skorpion collar pennons.  

4th Skorpion collar pennons.   4th Skorpion collar pennons.  

Default Re: 4th Skorpion collar pennons.

Hello Chris and welcome to the forum!

Thank you for sharing these items with us.

Quote by ChrisW01 View Post
    . . . What is the little rectangular badge beneath their eagle cap badges?
    The area below the eagle badge is where the rank is displayed on berets and GS caps. If this is a captain as you say then these are three rank stars situated in a triangular configuration, which is unusual but not necessarily incorrect. A triangular emblem would indicate the rank of sergeant or staff/senior sergeant, as pictured below.

Your uncle Krzywoszanski ( you sure that’s a Polish surname? ) appears to hold the rank of lance sergeant, denoted by three bars on the shoulder straps and also under the eagle badge.

Pictured below are some examples from period portraits , a lance sergeant’s beret from the 12th Podolski Lancers and a captains beret from the 7th Lubelski Lancers showing the rank insignia.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 4th Skorpion collar pennons.   4th Skorpion collar pennons.  

Attached Images Attached Images 4th Skorpion collar pennons. 
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thank you Tony. Don't know what to say about the surname, I know the family is a Polish/Ukrainian mix. Though I had already figured out his rank thanks for confirming and identifying the symbol beneath the cap badge (It is 3 bars for Lance Serg yes?). Explains why he wrote plut (plutonowy) on the back of some photos. Have also included pictures I took in Florence Italy at PICCHIANI & BARLACCHI while on vacation and researching my uncle's time at Monte Cassino this past May. The kind folks there showed me a collection of (for lack of better words) aluminum blanks.

Hope you find them of interest.

Chris............

Hi Chris,

First off, my little quip about the Polish surname evidently didn’t hit the mark (not surprising considering my lame sense of humour). That is as pure a Polish surname as one can hope to find!

Quote by ChrisW01 View Post
    . . . It is 3 bars for Lance Serg yes?) . Explains why he wrote plut (plutonowy) on the back of some photos. . .
    Yes, correct. You can see the rank insignia on one of the berets I posted. Shoulder strap insignia posted below.

Wow – thanks for the great pictures from the Picchiani & Barlacchi factory. That badge blank board is one of the more fascinating things I‘ve seen in a long while. I’ll be staring at that for some time.

Many thanks again,
    Tony

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Your humor was not lost Tony LOL, it only dawned on me after posting!
    Though not my last name it takes an effort to pronounce and is my cousin's grandfather. Unfortunatly I only took two photos, attached is the second adjusted to the jpg 253.9 KB minimum.

If I can ask a small favor of you or anyone else on the forum, if you know of someone who had a family member in the 4th Skorpion regiment I would very much like to make contact to share memories & photos (I already know Stefan "4thskorpion" ).

Best regards
    Chris.............
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 4th Skorpion collar pennons.  

Hi everyone,

Chris according to the 4th Armoured Regiment's History, yes your Uncle Plutowny Michal Krzywoszanski was in the 3rd Squadron and was also awarded the Bronze Cross of Merit with Swords.

He was also awarded the Monte Cassino Cross Nr:29231, his date of Birth:1910 and his Army Nr:121/III.

I hope that the above information is of some use and help.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Quote by andrzejku98 View Post
    Chris according to the 4th Armoured Regiment's History, yes your Uncle Plutowny Michal Krzywoszanski was in the 3rd Squadron and was also awarded the Bronze Cross of Merit with Swords.

He was also awarded the Monte Cassino Cross Nr:29231, his date of Birth:1910 and his Army Nr:121/III.
    Thanks for that Andrzejku. Have already learned this information and much more through inquiries to PISM, Hoover, Stefan and I am always looking to learn more as every little bit helps. I really appreciate your confirmation of the data. May I ask which publication you are quoting from and could I impose on you for a scan of those pages? There may be a little more to learn. Please send me a private message for my email address.

Regards
    Chris..................

Hi Chris,

In reply to your question the information was gleaned from my copy of "Walczace Skorpiony" Historia Pulku 4go Pancernego w fotofgrafii by Mieczyslawa Bialkiewicza published in London in 1975.

When I feel better I will scan the pages for you, be patient and I will try to get it done in the next week or so.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Hi Chris,

I have found these photos of the 4th Armoured Regiment in Italy a couple belong to the 3rd Squadron.

Also do you know the name of the tank that your Uncle served in it would have been one of the following:

3rd Squadron Tanks Names: Sztan, Sztorm, Sirocco, Sultan, Szach, Stryj, Sanok, Styr, Smyk, Sum, Sajdak, Salamandra, Slon, Smok, Saracen, Sarmata, Satyr, Sroka, Sintria, Sep, Solec, San.

Quote by andrzejku98 View Post
    Hi Chris,

I have found these photos of the 4th Armoured Regiment in Italy a couple belong to the 3rd Squadron.

Also do you know the name of the tank that your Uncle served in it would have been one of the following:
    Thanks for that Andrzejku.
    Actually he was a mechanic in No.3 Squadron's LAD (Light Aid Detachment) and likely worked on all the tanks you listed. He mentioned working on their aircraft type radial and Ford V8 engines along with adjusting the clutch bands of the Final drive, a very tedious process. Furthermore at some point during the war (possibly middle east and/or Italy) he mentioned spending time overhauling landing gear on SAAF B24 Liberators and Common Wealth Spitfires & Wellingtons. I am curious to know if there is any mention of this in your copy of "Walczace Skorpiony" or that of Polish mechanics being volunteered as skilled labour to an RAF MU? Have been trying to follow up on this but the research is difficult.

Good pictures. Upper left: I think might be the vehicle assembly area sign outside Potenza Picena (see my attachment). Upper right: Tank transport convoy crossing Potenza river bridge 1946. Lower: Captain Wladyslaw Drelicharz KIA 21 Nov 1944.

The image attached I have captioned: LAD Mechanics 3rd Tank Squadron, 4th Regiment. Vehicle assembly area Potenza Picena. Michal leaning on sign.

Hope you're feeling better.
    Chris..............
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 4th Skorpion collar pennons.  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast