MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

5th Battalion of the 2nd Carpathian Rifles Brigade Beret Badge

Article about: Gentlemen I just wanted to show this badge, a beret badge for 5th Battalion of the 2nd Carpathian Rifles Brigade in 3 DSK. As you can see this is also complete with the "podkladki"

Default 5th Battalion of the 2nd Carpathian Rifles Brigade Beret Badge

Gentlemen

I just wanted to show this badge, a beret badge for 5th Battalion of the 2nd Carpathian Rifles Brigade in 3 DSK. As you can see this is also complete with the "podkladki" behind the badge.

I like it and I don't think there are any issues.

All the best

James
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 5th Battalion of the 2nd Carpathian Rifles Brigade Beret Badge   5th Battalion of the 2nd Carpathian Rifles Brigade Beret Badge  

5th Battalion of the 2nd Carpathian Rifles Brigade Beret Badge   5th Battalion of the 2nd Carpathian Rifles Brigade Beret Badge  

Default Re: 5th Battalion of the 2nd Carpathian Rifles Brigade Beret Badge

Looks good to me James. And agreed, the podkładka is always a nice bonus.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

very nice james looks good and with the podkladka it makes it near perfect

well done

tom

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Looks good to me James. And agreed, the podkładka is always a nice bonus.

Regards,
    Tony
    The 3 DSK badge that comes with it also has a podkładka. Was it usual to have podkładka that matched the regimental colours perhaps?

All the best

James

First off, for those non-Polish speaking members who are scratching their heads wondering what a podkładka is, it’s the felt (or cloth) backing.

The backing was most often something added by the wearer, and it would be of a colour significant to the respective regiment. With these 2BSK battalion badges, the prevalence of them seen with the green felt backing suggests that just maybe they were supplied this way. I have not seen the 3DSK accompanied with a backing felt all that frequently. Same with the 5KDP. On the other hand, with the other major 2nd Corps unit – the 2WDP – this unit badge is frequently found with a black backing.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

The rest of the group showing the 3DSK with the rifle green podkładka.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 5th Battalion of the 2nd Carpathian Rifles Brigade Beret Badge   5th Battalion of the 2nd Carpathian Rifles Brigade Beret Badge  

I now have the group in hand and there is rather more to it than I first thought

Here are some photos.

The documents seem to refer to two different people with the same family name - Filarowski. The photo ID seems to be for Henryk and is a school ID. The other one seems to be a resettlement document for Franciszer. I assume brothers or father & son. And I assume that the badges refer to Franciszer as Henryk would have been much too young.

The medal ribbons came with the group. Is there any way of finding out if they belong with it?

Interestingly the postcard of Jerusalem (dated 1942) is signed by Henryk who according to the photo ID would have been 12 at the time. Franciszer seems to have ended up in Leeds in 1952 and then emigrated to Canada. The postcards (and religious cards) seem to track progress through Italy and one final one showing a German/Austrian band in Alpine dress.

How can I find out more information about the family Filarowski.

Many thanks

James

5th Battalion of the 2nd Carpathian Rifles Brigade Beret Badge   5th Battalion of the 2nd Carpathian Rifles Brigade Beret Badge  

5th Battalion of the 2nd Carpathian Rifles Brigade Beret Badge  

Hi James,

The ribbon bar Polish Cross of Valour, Bronze Cross of Merit with Swords, Army Medal, British 39-45 Star, Italy Star, Defence Medal, 39-45 War Medal, belonged to Franciszek Filarowski a Sierzant (Sergeant) 5th Rifle Battalion, 2nd Rifle Brigade, 3rd Carpathian Rifle Division, Service Number: 1902/10/III, he was awarded the Cross of Valour.

I first of all checked the Monte Cassino Cross List but unfortunately he was not on the 3DSK list at all.

Now for Henryk I have found the following information, he was employed as a Draughtsman and became a British Citizen on the 4th March 1963 whilst living at 26 Kelso Gardens, Leeds 2. London Gazette Issue Number: 42982, Page 3757 Published 30th April 1963. Henryk was also mentioned in the 1983 publication "Junackie Szkoly Mechaniczne", which you should be able to loan from your local Library. Henryk died in Leeds in 1996.

I sincerely hope that the above information is of some use and help to you James.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Hi Andrzejku

Thank you so much for taking the time to find out all of this information. I appreciate this very very much. So the medal ribbons do go with the rest of the group. That is so nice to know. I may be able to get them as well.

Many many thanks for your help

All the best

James