Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

8th Army/2nd PC certification

Article about: Dear members, I would like to show you some kind of WW2-period army certification of a far-family member of mine. He served in the 8th Army/2nd Polish Corps during WW2. I've never seen anyth

Default 8th Army/2nd PC certification

Dear members,

I would like to show you some kind of WW2-period army certification of a far-family member of mine. He served in the 8th Army/2nd Polish Corps during WW2. I've never seen anything like this before. Did anyone of you encounter these kinds of certifications before? I would like to know more about these, if that's possible.

8th Army/2nd PC certification

Gr,

Kaj

Default Re: 8th Army/2nd PC certification

I have no info for you unfortunately, but I love this thing!

Np, thanks.

Hi Kaj, Thanks for your post. Very interesting document. First time I am seeing one like it, and can't offer much information. Although the Latin motto at the bottom "Tam Marte Quam Minerva" translates to "as much by Mars as by Minerva", i.e. 'as much by war as by wisdom', or 'as much by courage as by genius'

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

I can help with this. The certificate shows that the officer has passed the 'staff college exam'. This was basically training that any officer who wanted a staff position had to undergo. Particularly for career officers, the staff college exam was a major stepping stone, allowing him to take on a Divisional or Brigade Staff appointment, and of course, to train for a command position at this level.

Info about the Staff College in the UK is here Staff College, Camberley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, this one presumably being an offshoot college in Palestine.

Rob

Hey Rob, thank you for the reply and (background information). @ Tony, thank you for the translation of the Latin motto. Many thanks!