Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Advice needed - 1st Armoured Div BD

Article about: Hello everyone, lovely forum you have here! I need some advice regarding the Polish Army in Exile Battledress. I have received an original 1940 pattern battledress blouse from a friend who n

?

Default Advice needed - 1st Armoured Div BD

Hello everyone, lovely forum you have here!

I need some advice regarding the Polish Army in Exile Battledress. I have received an original 1940 pattern battledress blouse from a friend who no-longer wants it. As such I am going to turn it into a BD as used by a lieutenant of the 9th Infantry Battallion, 3 Infantry Brigade, 1st Polish Armoured Division.

Unfortunately i'm a total novice at this, but want to do a proper job of it. As such, can anyone answer these questions please?

1. The left shoulder board - was it dark blue or black? Was it simply covered with fabric or was the British serge one removed and replaced with the coloured one in its entirity?

2. What would the rank of a lieutenant have looked like? Would it also have been replicated anywhere else? (Like on the beret).

3. The breast pocket badge - were they worn on the BD at the time the unit was involved in the fighting at Falaise? If so, where can I get one in the UK? (preferably a reproduction as I don't fancy paying the £100 for an original!)

4. From my research at the moment, I have determined that the 9th Battallion did not wear anything other than the 'Poland' title on the right sleeve. Am I correct in this?

5. Did the infantry battallions in the 1st AD also wear the black beret as standard head-dress?

I really do apologise for the silly questions but I am not willing to get this wrong if I can help it!

Cheers all.

P.

Default re: Advice needed - 1st Armoured Div BD

Hello P,

Thanks for your kind words about our forum. Our many active and enthusiastic members deserve all the credit for making it the success it has become, so we look forward to your contribution as well.

Over to your questions, none of which are silly by the way. As this is primarily a militaria collector’s forum not everyone will appreciate the prospect of another ‘put together’ tunic being assembled, nor my answering of your questions on how to accomplish this. But the simple fact remains that this practice is common for reenactment and historical displays and will continue to be done. That some of these reproductions end up on the market in the guise of ‘original’ pieces is an unfortunate reality. Hence the existence of such forums as this to educate collectors. So having said that, I remain confident that you will use an indelible marker to label the tunic “REPRODUCTION” on the inside when finished. Deal?

1. The left shoulder strap is black. I have seen various approaches to construction and material used on BD, SD and also greatcoat straps. My two genuine BD’s have the top half of the strap replaced with black fabric. The bottom half remains the original serge. I’ve seen this same construction on most other genuine 1DP BD’s.

2. Lieutenant rank on a BD was indicated with two metal 5-pointed stars on each shoulder strap.

3. The pocket badges for the 9th Rifles Battalion were made and issued after the war.

4. The Poland titles were worn on the right and left upper sleeves, positioned roughly a finger’s width below the shoulder seam. The tunic also displayed the distinctive cavalry pennons at the collar points. Colours for the 9th BSF were yellow and blue

5. Black berets were worn by all units of the 1st Armoured Division.

Elsewhere on this forum are pictures of my 9BSF BD tunic that you can use for reference. Good luck with your project. Please post pictures for us!

Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Tony,

That's fantastic, thank you for your reply!

The BD is being tailored to fit me so wouldn't be much use to anyone else! It is for reenactment and all the insignia would be removed if I ever chose to get rid of the blouse anyway. I don't tolerate fakes and they're usually found out anyway so you needn't worry on that front.

I'll post pictures up on this thread as soon as I figure out how to work this camera of mine.

?

Still very much a work in progress - I am still waiting for the collar penons and the pleats for the front pockets.
    I decided not to use the original BD blouse and use one of Soldier of Fortunes reproductions instead.

I did the stitching for the epp, which i'm quite pleade with to be honest. I'll post up more when it is done.

And no, the badges aren't crooked, it's just the angle I took the shots at!

Coming along very well Tom.

Quote by Poland View Post
    . . . I am still waiting for the collar penons and the pleats for the front pockets.
    If I recall, you are trying to recreate a combat worn tunic. False box pleating would not typically be applied to these. This was something done to dress up the ‘best walking out’ BD’s.

Thanks for the update, and please continue to keep us posted.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Impatient to see the future pictures.
    Ze-Pole

?

Chaps,

An update on my 1st AD impression. I am not 100% happy with the collar pennons and my very helpful supplier is re-doing them for me. However, this is it for the time being.

I'm quite impressed.

?

Nice work there Poland, its looking good.

Regards etc
    Ian D
    AKA: Jimpy

Default Re: Advice needed - 1st Armoured Div BD

Really, a good job !
    When I were younger, I were reenactor... and my battledress was not so well made...
    Congratulations !
    Ze-Pole