Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Battle of Britain - Channel 4. 9pm tonight

Article about: Channel 4 tonight 9pm (June 29) UK are running a documentary called "The Unknown Battle of Britain". It concerns the exploits of 303 squadron in the Battle of Britain. The Untold B

?

Post Battle of Britain - Channel 4. 9pm tonight

Channel 4 tonight 9pm (June 29) UK are running a documentary called "The Unknown Battle of Britain".

It concerns the exploits of 303 squadron in the Battle of Britain.

The Untold Battle of Britain - Channel 4

.. It looks like it will (after airing) be available to view via " 4 on demand".

Get your recorders ready !

Gary J.

GFC
    ?

Default Re: Battle of Britain - Channel 4. 9pm tonight

Unfortunately. . . . .

Not in the States, and 4 on Demand also not available here....

Quote by GFC View Post
    Unfortunately. . . . .

Not in the States, and 4 on Demand also not available here....
    You are right ,not working here in the USA

GFC
    ?

-
    So folks in Blighty......

HOW WAS IT ? ? ? ? ?

?

Well worth watching !.

The program was put together from the personal "war diary" kept by one of the pilots of 303, .. collated from his 6 volume total.
    This was also cross referenced from the biographies of the Canadian officer who lead the training of the Poles, and various peoples memories of the squadron.

It was all pasted together using contemporary footage, as well as out takes from the 1969 Battle of Britain film centred round some modern day actors taking the leading roles.

The overall picture painted by the program was extremely positive, and did the Pilots justice.

The only thing I noticed in the modern acting scenes, was that it looked like one of the Pilot's sidecap was sporting a non-crowned Eagle ...
    There wasn't a close enough shot to confirm it, ... but if it was, ... then it was a massive error !

Regards

Gary J.

(PS .. there were clearly some shots taken in the Sikorski archive room, ... but direct mention of the Institute was avoided.)
    Last edited by Gary J; 06-30-2010 at 03:46 PM.

GFC
    ?

Thanks for that Gary -

The publicity still in teh Telegraph showed them wearing WHITE METAL observers badges.

But, after all, best not to sweat the small stuff.....

GFC

Quote by Gary J View Post
    Well worth watching !.

The program was put together from the personal "war diary" kept by one of the pilots of 303, .. collated from his 6 volume total.
    This was also cross referenced from the biographies of the Canadian officer who lead the training of the Poles, and various peoples memories of the squadron.

It was all pasted together using contemporary footage, as well as out takes from the 1969 Battle of Britain film centred round some modern day actors taking the leading roles.

The overall picture painted by the program was extremely positive, and did the Pilots justice.

The only thing I noticed in the modern acting scenes, was that it looked like one of the Pilot's sidecap was sporting a non-crowned Eagle ...
    There wasn't a close enough shot to confirm it, ... but if it was, ... then it was a massive error !

Regards

Gary J.

(PS .. there were clearly some shots taken in the Sikorski archive room, ... but direct mention of the Institute was avoided.)

Hi Gary,

I also noticed a couple of other anomalies, all the pilots are shown wearing 'C' type flying helmets that didn't come into service until 1944 and the 'H' type oxygen mask that first appeared in 1943.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Ned,
    Yep I saw that too ....

At least the program for once had a proper full length story, rather than a 5 minute snippet stretched over and over to 1 hour ! !!

Regards

Gary J.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Gary,

I also noticed a couple of other anomalies, all the pilots are shown wearing 'C' type flying helmets that didn't come into service until 1944 and the 'H' type oxygen mask that first appeared in 1943.

Regards, Ned.