Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Battle dress first armoured division

Article about: Hello, I am wondering if anybody can tell something about this battle dress. In my opinion it is put together after the war, but there are some very typical details. *The battledress is perf

?

Default Battle dress first armoured division

Hello, I am wondering if anybody can tell something about this battle dress. In my opinion it is put together after the war, but there are some very typical details.
    *The battledress is perfect quality, but very dark and not the normal stamps/ color I guess it is post war. There is a stamp 1942 but it is easy to make these stamps??
    *On the epaulettes there are some polish buttons (all the work is done really tidy)
    *Strange are the cap badges (royal artillery, british army) on the epaulettes. I have never seen these before attached like this. Not the normal polish types)
    *Formation insignia: first polish armoured division: real, fake??
    *Coming from a private collection, small museum in Holland (Breda region)
    Some idea's??

Battle dress first armoured divisionBattle dress first armoured divisionBattle dress first armoured divisionBattle dress first armoured divisionBattle dress first armoured division

Hello Herman and welcome to the forum.

The POLAND shoulder titles are modern copies, so we don’t need to look much further to gauge the authenticity of this BD blouse. But for the record, the mix of British and Polish insignia / rank designation is incorrect for a Polish BD. Also, the later 1st Armoured Division uniforms typically display a black shoulder epaulette on the left side, and pennons designating the regiment / unit would be found on the collars.

The cut and wool of the BD itself looks just like a surplus post war Greek made products I've seen being sold for reenactment purposes. Don’t waste your money on this one. And good for you for checking here first

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Thank you Tony, for your good comments! Is confirmation off my ideas. By the way, what do you think of the patch of the first armoured division; also a fake or maybe a genuine one (put on post war)??

Regards Herman

Hello Herman, I believe it to be a post war copy. Here is a genuine period example. Note the backing fabric type and colour. These are the type you will most commonly find on original uniforms, both BD and SD:

(click on pictures to enlarge)

Here's a rare colour photo showing this type in wear. Take note of some of the classic 1st Polish Armoured Division BD details mentioned previously (collar pennons, black left side epaulette with Polish rank designation, correct serif text pattern shoulder title).

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne