Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Berets

Article about: Hello, I have seen some blue berets associated with Polish uniforms.Is there any significance to these colours or are they a collector affection?Also are the 4 piece Gelfer made pieces the o

Hello Alex,
    It's nice beret but rather not from 1st Para Bde.
    This is also not a para eagle.
    Greetings
    Rafal

The Khaki beret with the Khaki eagle most likely is the Beret used by the Polish Highland Batalion(Batalion Strzelcow Podhalanskich) of the 1st Armoured Division, unlike the rest of the Division which had black berets the Highland Batalion used khaki berets with eagles on khaki background.

Hello,

Thank you for your comments.
    Cichociemny, really interesting fact in regards to the Polish highland Battalion(Batalion Strzelcow Podhalanskich)Thank you. 1SBS beret and BD belonged to 1st Polish Independent Parachute Brigade soldier. The only thing I can tell you, was that it was found in Colorado. I cannot read the faded ink handwriting inside Kangol beret. Maybe someday, somehow.
    I will post 1SBS BD in separate thread some day. I would like to make a special WW2 Allied Airborne display.
    OK. We all know about Gelfer berets. I want to discuss about post Market Garden Operation period of time.
    in October 1944 Poles boarded a ship to return to Stamford. Again departed by ships to the continent in May 1945, to take part in occupation duties in Germany, at Kleve and Oosterbruck with 1st Polish Armoured division, as part of British occupation of Germany forces. The Brigade returned to Britain in May 1947, was disbanded on 30 June 1947.
    Are you Gents and Ladies absolutely sure that 1SBS soldiers were used only Gelfer berets, during above period of time(1944-47) I am not, to be honest. I am still looking for any evidence, pictures, et cetera. I hope will find some day. I have my Beret and Battledress so far(as my evidence or contribution)
    Summarize, in my humble opinion soldiers from 1st Polish Independent Parachute Brigade were used khaki berets(as well) manufactured by different than Gelfer producers, such as Kangol. As I said before this is only my controversial theory. Maybe you know something or have some evidence? Thank you

Kind Regards
    A.S.

Hello again Alex,

Quote by AlexKG200 View Post
    . . . Are you Gents and Ladies absolutely sure that 1SBS soldiers were used only Gelfer berets, during above period of time(1944-47) I am not, to be honest. I am still
    looking for any evidence, pictures, et cetera. I hope will find some day. . .
    I can’t offer much as far as whether the 1SBS enlisted ranks used berets other than Gelfer products, but if there’s one thing I’ve learned when it comes to “cloth” is it to never say never. I hold up the photo below as exhibit A. Had I not seen a period photo I may have doubted the existence of a zipper up BD.

Berets

Quote by AlexKG200 View Post
    . . . in my humble opinion soldiers from 1st Polish Independent Parachute Brigade were used khaki berets(as well) manufactured by different than Gelfer producers, such as Kangol. As I said before this is only my controversial theory. . .
    Notwithstanding my comment above, the burden of proof rests with anyone making a claim, so you have your work cut out for you. Hopefully someone will help out with the evidence. Otherwise, please keep us posted.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hello Tony,

Hope dies last. I do my best to find some evidence. I would like to thank you for sharing your zipper up BD photo. Wow. I never saw army BD like this before. Great picture!

Regards
    A.S.
    Last edited by AlexKG200; 05-04-2015 at 11:27 AM.

two well known photos, Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Berets   Berets  

Attached Images Attached Images Berets 

as I have mentioned before I am reluctant to offer opinion etc. however, given that 1 SBS had the same " esprit de corps " as British Airborne Forces, read Sosabowski and Browning, I cannot imagine soldiers of those units swanning around with different coloured berets. also, standard issue grey berets would not have been in short supply, the contracted firm was in business make money like every other supplier, therefore it was in their interest to cater for demand. a little known fact, A & J Gelfer had a contract with the US Government to supply US Garrison Caps. here endeth the gospel.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Berets  

Beret has to be earned.
    It is not something one puts on his head, it is what differentiates for example airborne soldier from a leg (leg is non airborne qualified personnel here in US.)
    So I find it very hard (read impossible) to believe that Polish Airborne soldier from 1SBS would put a leg (in this case infantry) beret on. Now, if it was the other way around, i.e.. "Leg" wearing airborne beret i would agree.

Anyone who has served in Elite Unit knows that.

is leg in the same vein as fng and remf ?

Yes, it would be.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast