Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast

Books

Article about: Hi all, My partial reference book list which I have limited to English language editions only. It is a mix of out-of-print and more recent — Cazalet, V.A., With Sikorski to Russia, Lon

?

Default Re: Books

Hi All !

A couple books from my small collection:

Books

...the book from bottom left corner is "Dzieje Anglji" from 1940 with 1st Polish Rifle Brigade's stamp and "Basic English For Polish Students" (right bottom corner) also from 1940 - with the book owner's signature "Dr.med. MOŹDZIERZ Janusz Polish Forces" - probably ppor. dr Janusz Moździerz from Polish Carpathian Lancers Regiment.

GFC
    ?

Mozdzierz was not only a member of the Carpathian Brigade, but was also commanded the Parachute Brigade's medical company, and was wounded at Driel, and later awarded the Virtuti Militrari for his part in the battle.

A nice item !

?

O! I didn't know that - Thank You for this information

?

Mozdzierz with "Smokey" ..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Books  

Hello guys,
    This time I'm posting a pic of a desirable couple of books on WW2 Polish special forces - commandos and paratroops.
    I hope you gonna like it ;-)

Regards,
    Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Books  

?

Oh yes, we do

I'm glad to know that ;-)

JJJ
    ?

Do you know where i can find this book:RUTKOWSKI ADAM / "POWSTANIE WARSZAWSKIE W FOTOGRAFII 'JOACHIMA' - JOACHIMA JOACHIMCZYKA. KAT. WYST." / ARCH.PANSTWOWE / 1984

?

Books

There is a new book out which I would like to recommend: "Airborne Animals and Cockpit Companions" by Colin Pateman

In this enjoyable and informative book, Colin Pateman tells the story of the animal mascots and companions adopted by air force personnel and squadrons of various nationalities during World War II – dogs, cats, goats and sundry other creatures whose presence provided a welcome distraction from the stresses of warfare and an important boost to morale.

Many animals took to the air as passengers in various types of aircraft and there are some remarkable tales of their antics. One dog, for instance, was washed up alive on the Yorkshire coast four weeks after the aircraft in which he was flying was lost over the North Sea. Another dog, after surviving a crash landing, went to seek help and led rescuers back to the crashed aircraft and its injured crew. Then there is the Cocker Spaniel believed to have clocked up more flying hours than any human in World War II...

There are humorous tales too, such as the goat who ate a Lancaster pilot’s handling notes in mid-flight, the bull terrier with a taste for motorcycle tyres or the monkey who disgraced his Squadron by exposing himself to the King during a royal visit...

Very much an international collection, there are stories of animals owned by airmen of many nations, including the USA, Canada, Australia, South Africa, Poland, France and Germany, as well as many from the UK. An entertaining read for any animal-lover and of particular interest to former air force personnel of all nations.

Woodfield Publishing Ltd | Independent UK Book Publishers

ISBN 1-84683-126-1

The latest addition to my first editions signed by WW2 era Polish free forces generals. This one by Lt. General Marian Kukiel, who wrote the forward to the book “Polish Armed Forces Through the Ages: Thousand Years of the Polish Arms”, issued in 1944.

The book is dedicated to Joan Bamford Fletcher, a Canadian woman with remarkable courage. Her connection to the Poles was first serving as a driver for the exiled Polish army based in Scotland, and then in a diplomatic role in the post war years.

In order to keep things uncluttered, first up are brief bio’s on both General Kukiel and Joan Bamford Fletcher, and also the dedication.

In 1945 Joan Bamford Fletcher captured headlines in Canada and Britain after shepherding some 2,000 Dutch civilian captives from a Japanese prison camp through the Sumatra jungle to safety: while commanding seventy vanquished but armed Japanese soldiers she guided the evacuees through territory swarming with hostile Indonesian rebels. This remarkable feat earned her an MBE, a Samurai sword, and public renown.

Born in Regina in 1918, Bamford Fletcher came from a family of prosperous cotton merchants in England. After early years spent on their dairy farm near Regina, she attended boarding school in England in the 1920s, and took further schooling in Belgium and France. After the outbreak of World War 2 Fletcher first trained as a driver in the Canadian Red Cross transport section, then traveled to Britain around December 1940 and joined the First Aid Nursing Yeomanry (FANY).

In Scotland she worked as a driver for the exiled Polish army. At war’s end she was sent to Sumatra, where her rescue feat took place. Later she was posted to the British Embassy in communist-held Poland, but eventually returned to Canada, where she died in 1979.

Ruth Wright Millar

The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan | Details
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Books   Books  

Books   Books  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast