Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast

Books

Article about: Hi all, My partial reference book list which I have limited to English language editions only. It is a mix of out-of-print and more recent — Cazalet, V.A., With Sikorski to Russia, Lon

Default Re: Books

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Interesting story, thanks for sharing that Ade. Poles that had been conscripted into the German Army and later ‘jumped ship’ were not entirely uncommon. Here are some bilingual leaflets from my collection aimed at the "Polacy w Armii Niemieckiej" ("Poles in the German Army") to “come on over” to the Polish forces fighting on the Allied side.

Regards,
    Tony
    First time I have seen these fascinating leaflets... many thanks indeed for posting

Poles who deserted from the Wehrmacht to enlist with Polish Forces in the West (PSZ) numbered 89,300—almost 36% of all soldiers of PSZ under British command who at their height reached 249,000.

These former Wehrmacht Poles later made up the largest proportion of those from 2PolCorps that chose repatriation back to Poland after the end of WWII.

Below a German recruitment poster for Poles—found online.

I wonder how many, if any, Wehrmacht Poles received both German and Polish awards/decorations during WWII?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Books  
    Last edited by StefanM; 10-11-2012 at 11:24 AM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Tony you have an amazing collection of leaflets and posters!

Its too bad in away, that this are not on display in a museum in Canada. But I fear that if they were - eventually they would be withdrawn from display and lost in storage.

The Polish contribution to the war effort in WW2 is so neglected in the mass media and relatively unknown to the mass public here in Canada. I hope its better elsewhere in the West.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    One of my school friends Dad and Uncle were Polish and deserted (to a Free French unit if I remeber correctly?) in Italy. Both having fought in Russia in the winter of '41 and did not want to go back! My friends Uncle ended up in the Polish Airborne at Arnhem/Driel. I do have a copy of a photo my friends Dad in Heer uniform. I did see pics of him in KD's, so he must have stayed in Italy with II Corps.

They settled in the UK and the eldest son later joined the British Army.

Cheers, Ade.
    Ade, any chance of posting his Heer photo and story in a separate thread? Might generate similar posts.

Were there any insignia or patches to signify he was a Pole on his German uniform?

Default Re: Books - a new acquisition to my library

I want to share with you a long sought acquisition to my expanding library of Polish military books...

Story of a Secret State by Jan Karski

BooksBooks
    Books

I know that most here are familiar with Jan Karki's heroic deeds and the tragedy that his reports were not taken seriously at first. So I will not repeat the Karski's exploits here.

What I would like to point out is that the book pictured was copyright to Jan Karski and printed in 1944. (by Kingsport Press, Kingsport, Tennessee)

It is also signed by the original owner - a Mr. R.E. Beamish in April, 1945.

Super acquisition Mike! The 1944 date would make it a first edition. Karski's account was one of the first I read, and remains one of the most riveting and memorable reads.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Quote by dastier View Post
    I want to share with you a long sought acquisition to my expanding library of Polish military books...

Story of a Secret State by Jan Karski

What I would like to point out is that the book pictured was copyright to Jan Karski and printed in 1944. (by Kingsport Press, Kingsport, Tennessee)
    I only have the new Penguin edition for Kindle

Did the 1944 US edition originally have a dust jacket?

It is interesting to read cichociemni & special courier Tadeusz Chciuk-Celt's, now rare, slim volume "By Parachute to Warsaw" (published in 1945 under his pen name of Marek Celt) where Celt's account of his own clandestine visit to the Warsaw Ghetto in 1942 (on his first mission to Poland - he made two drops) is almost word for word the same as described by Karski in The Secret State although there is no record of Karski and Celt getting being in the Ghetto at the same time?

Books

Books

I don't know if it originally had a dust jacket. I found this copy in a used bookstore. I don't even frequent this store anymore because their military books tend to be too general or modern.

Just pure luck. And it only cost $7.50.

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    . . . It is interesting to read cichociemni & special courier Tadeusz Chciuk-Celt's, now rare, slim volume "By Parachute to Warsaw" (published in 1945 under his pen name of Marek Celt) where Celt's account of his own clandestine visit to the Warsaw Ghetto in 1942 (on his first mission to Poland - he made two drops) is almost word for word the same as described by Karski in The Secret State although there is no record of Karski and Celt getting being in the Ghetto at the same time?
    Stefan, haha, I was wondering how long it would take you to bring this controversy up It's an interesting one.
    Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Stefan, haha, I was wondering how long it would take you to bring this controversy up It's an interesting one.
    Cheers,
    Tony

I am also surprised that I could find no record of Karski's famous meeting with Eden in the National Archive collection at Kew, London.

Dust Jacket of 1944 Story of a Secret State: Jan Karski

BooksBooks

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast