Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

British awards to Polish Paras?

Article about: I am hoping some of the more knowledgeable members can help with how many British decorations for bravery (if any) might have been awarded to 1st Polish Independent Parachute Brigade service

Default British awards to Polish Paras?

I am hoping some of the more knowledgeable members can help with how many British decorations for bravery (if any) might have been awarded to 1st Polish Independent Parachute Brigade servicemen for their participation in Market Garden/Arnhem?

Cheers
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Default Re: British awards to Polish Paras?

Hi Stefan,
    At least one Polish para officer was awarded an MC shortly after Operation Market Garden
    for an outstanding example of personal bravery, coolness and devotion to duty, inspiring all men under his command.
    I guess more information you may find at The National Archives at Kew, e.g. in this file: Detecting your browser settings.

Regards,
    Tom

?

A quick check, and I've come up with 3 MM's and a DCM.

Gary J.

Hi 4th Skorpion,,

The British Distiguished Service Order was awarded to Pplk dypl Stanislaw Jachnik of Brigade HQ.

The British Military Cross was awarded to Kpt Piotr Budziszenski, Engineers Company (also KW, and Ranny), also awarded to Por. Mieczyslaw Mikulski, Anti Tank Battery (also KW)

The British Distinguished Conduct Medal was awarded to Kapral Stanislaw Rychlinski 3rd Bn (also KW)

The British Military Medal was awarded to Sierzant Walerian Rutkiewicz 2nd Bn (also VM), also awarded to Kapral Jozef Wisniewski Enginneers Company (also Ranny).

I hope that this helps

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Thanks chaps; Tom, Gary, Andrzejku!

Will try and get to Kew again, thanks Tom.

Very helpful
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.