Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Captain Stefan Jankiewicz

Article about: Stefan Jankiewicz was born September 7th, 1903 and lived in the former Tranopol district of Poland. A decorated soldier of the Polish-Bolshovic War, Promoted to Second Leiutenant July 1st, 1

Default Captain Stefan Jankiewicz medal group.

Stefan Jankiewicz was born September 7th, 1903 and lived in the former Tranopol district of Poland. A decorated soldier of the Polish-Bolshovic War, Promoted to Second Leiutenant July 1st, 1925. He was one of 268 officers to be promoted that day. He was assigned to the 9th Calvary Regiment.

Stefan saw fierce fighting at the Battle of Bzura, his unit was nearly decimated. Retreating to the capital through the Kampinos Forest, the 9th and 14 Calvary were encircled by the Germans. On September 19th, 1939 Stefan and his men ride into combat. The Battle of Wolka Weglowa ensues. Dispite heavy casualties on both sides, the Poles break through to Warsaw to aid in its defense. After the fall of the Capital, Stefan and 85,000 other Polish soldiers escape to France. With the fall of France, Stefan and 20,000 Poles escape the German Jugernaut at Dunkirk. Stefan and the 9th are stationed in Scotland, to defend the eastern cost against a German Invasion from Norway. In 1944, the 9th Calvary is intergrated into the 4th infantry, 1st Polish Corps.

Anyone know what the square badge or the collar Pennons are?

Last edited by medalman90; 02-01-2014 at 02:22 AM.

?

Poland/Polish pre-WWII Polish Army "East" Command 1918-1919 BadgePoland/Polish pre-WWII Polish Army "East" Command 1918-1919 Badge

Poland Polish Pre WWII Polish Army "East" Command 1918 1919 Badge | eBay

Very interesting Thread. And some great history.
    Thanks for sharing this.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

A nice collection with a known history

Wonder why the Polish red and white colours are reversed on the background to the display? I personally would also not hang the medals with pins in the ribbons....gravity is a subtle but steady force that will take its toll on the material over time.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Thank you to all that commented! Stefan, the colors are reversed because I Aparently wasn't paying attention when I set up my display. How would you display them?
    Dorava, thank you for the badge id.

Quote by medalman90 View Post
    How would you display them?
    For medals without clasps I normally cut with a scalpel (10A blade) a narrow slot of the same depth as mounting board and thread the ribbons through the mounting card such as the example attached:

I have used 3M command hook adhesive tabs to the edge of the ribbons as the tabs can be removed without leaving adhesive behind if you change your mind and want to reconfigure your display.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Hello Stefan. I apologize for the late reply. I've recently found more information on another medal group that I own so I've been looking into it thougholy. Thank you for the mounting tip, most of the medals are in excellent condition and would likento keep them like that.