Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Article about: Dear friends, I would like to propose posting a new thread with regards to the Krzyz Waleczny or Cross of Valour. i love this medal it is a personal favourite of mine. What i hope hope to ac

Default Re: Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Here is my KW display.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

?

Quote by Mariusz View Post
    Here is my KW display.
    Great job Mariusz

1st Class!
    Congratulations

Quote by Mariusz View Post
    Here is my KW display.

Very nice display Mariusz! Can you show close up pictures? Is every KW different?

Best Regards

Quote by MichalMag View Post
    . . . Is every KW different?
    Hi Michal,

Hope Mariusz doesn’t mind me butting in, but here’s a quick ID, along with Krogulec catalogue numbers*:

Top row, left to right: Spink (20); “London 1943-45” (24); ”UK - tube suspension” (25); Spink (20) and Spink (20) again.

Center: the two “Near East” types (22) & (23)

Bottom Row, left to right: two more Near East 23’s, a Spink 20’s, what looks like maybe a Delande 13, and three more London 24’s

*sub-variants exist of some of these crosses, which would require a closer inspection to identify

Regards,
    Tony
    Last edited by A.J. Zawadzki; 06-14-2012 at 03:18 AM.
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Fellows
    The interesting variant of KW has recently been sold on Allegro.

We had discussed this version briefly – the cross has Spink’s features, including the small dot over the top of the sword.
    However, this version has an interesting fastening shaped < >
    I would say it is one of the less popular versions.

Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile TypesCross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Hi Artur,

These crosses are often mistakenly attributed to Spink. The maker’s name is unkown. The Spink cross is quite different, and of a higher quality.

What is known is that this type originated in England during the war, in two series. The first produced early in the war, and then a later series from refurbished stamping dies. After the war this latter series was sold to veterans via London based outlets all the way up into the 1980’s. This may help account for them remaining in relatively plentiful supply - at least the type with the standard suspension ‘tang’ (the part which holds the ribbon ring). The version with the unusual “<>” shaped tang is certainly much scarcer.

Posted below are some pics I took comparing these two versions of the later war era production crosses. You can see that the "<>" type has a cruder overall level of finishing.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

Attached Images Attached Images Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types 
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thanks Tony
    Super - i am clear now

?

Another Cross of Valour made in Palestine. Is it type I or II of the “Palestinian” CV? What do you think?

When you judge it by a shorter suspension it may be a later type which is similar to Spink - lettering is almost identical to Spink with the exception of P and Ł. Outside of this Spink is a bit smaller.

The one you can see in the pictures below was awarded for the battle of Bologna so my guess is that it is a later type of CV made in Palestine compared to those awarded for the battle of Monte Cassino which have a longer suspension. Any ideas to support my observations ?

?

Subtle differences in the lettering marked in red help distinguish the ME cross from the Spink one. The eagle is different too.

Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast