Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast

Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Article about: Dear friends, I would like to propose posting a new thread with regards to the Krzyz Waleczny or Cross of Valour. i love this medal it is a personal favourite of mine. What i hope hope to ac

Default Re: Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    This is a UK made variant, same as the one pictured in post #136 above. But the cross you have pictured has every appearance of being a cast replica. The details are soft and not sharp as those found in the die stamped originals. Note especially in the corners of the center shield. The suspension 'ear' that holds the ribbon ring is wrong. The ribbon rings on original crosses are of a narrow gauge wire that are soldered at the joint.

Regards,
    Tony
    Thanks Tony your expertise is invaluable.... unlike this K.W.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Thanks Stefan. While on the topic of this particular variant, these crosses were produced from a reworked worn out stamping die that had been used for the earliest UK produced exile forces Cross of Valour. The earlier cross on the left - obverse:

Reverse:

Evidence indicating that this is the same die is the “dot” die flaw above the tip of the sword on the reverse side.

Note how in the earlier version the angle of the cross bar in the letter “ Ł ” is tilted in the wrong direction. This was corrected in the reworked die.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

hi everyone, i found this one in my country i would like to have your opinion , if this is an original piece or not, if this is one example made in exile or made in Poland. Thanks you

Hello James,

You have a cross made by Arthus Bertrand of Paris. Nothing in the pictures suggests to me that it is not genuine. This is the larger of two versions Bertrand produced, patterned after the two sizes produced for the pre-WW2 Polish government issue crosses.

The Krogulec reference on the Cross of Valour states that these crosses were produced from 1921 to 1939.

Your cross is suspended from an exile period ribbon. The hue of the amaranth stripes on the ribbon appears very much like the French made KW ribbons. Perhaps a replacement for the issue ribbon - ?? Or added to a surplus cross that survived the war years - ??

These are relatively scarce crosses. It took me a long time to acquire one for my collection. Congratulations on a nice find!

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Thanks for your answer, the seller told me that was a replacemten cross. thank you so much for the information. i was sure it was original, but it was a good idea to ask here. greetings

Hello James,

You have a cross made by Arthus Bertrand of Paris. Nothing in the pictures suggests to me that it is not genuine. This is the larger of two versions Bertrand produced, patterned after the two sizes produced for the pre-WW2 Polish government issue crosses.

The Krogulec reference on the Cross of Valour states that these crosses were produced from 1921 to 1939.

Your cross is suspended from an exile period ribbon. The hue of the amaranth stripes on the ribbon appears very much like the French made KW ribbons. Perhaps a replacement for the issue ribbon - ?? Or added to a surplus cross that survived the war years - ??

These are relatively scarce crosses. It took me a long time to acquire one for my collection. Congratulations on a nice find!

Regards,
    Tony
    The owner told me that my example was a replacement example, but said nothing about the ribbon.

Quote by James Isaak View Post
    The owner told me that my example was a replacement example, but said nothing about the ribbon.
    Hi James, yes, it would be a ‘replacement’ as the Polish government did not issue crosses made by French producers. As far as the ribbon, again, it has that characteristic look of the type I have seen on French KW’s. I also see the French style ‘bi-pin’ for mounting. All in all a very nice looking cross that you are fortunate to have acquired.

Cheers,
    Tony

Hi James, yes, it would be a ‘replacement’ as the Polish government did not issue crosses made by French producers. As far as the ribbon, again, it has that characteristic look of the type I have seen on French KW’s. I also see the French style ‘bi-pin’ for mounting. All in all a very nice looking cross that you are fortunate to have acquired.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Thanks buddy it was cheap and pretty. its in perfect conditions. but about the colour its darker than in the pictures that i had up load.

p37
    ?

Hi. Is this cross oryginal? Regards, Paweł Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile TypesCross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Hello Paweł,

Yes, your cross is genuine. The added bonus is the correct issue ribbon. Please go back in this thread to post #12 for more information about this cross type. Mariusz pictures one of these with an award document in post #21.

Regards,
    Tony

Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast