Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Article about: Dear friends, I would like to propose posting a new thread with regards to the Krzyz Waleczny or Cross of Valour. i love this medal it is a personal favourite of mine. What i hope hope to ac

Default Re: Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Quote by robert odulinski View Post
    they are called Palestinian. Are they made by jewellers in what was Palestine? .
    Yes, made on “Bliski Wschód” terrain known as Palestine at the time. As to an actual maker’s name there has been speculation that it was Rubin. Although this has never been confirmed as far as I know.

From my Krogulec book it appears he uses the shield and eagle type to distinguish his KW's i find his method bewildering.
    Agreed 100%. The book is certainly difficult to use, has poor pictures, and is in need of reorganizing and revision. But it remains the best reference source on this decoration, and Mr. Krogulec deserves much credit for his work in spite of the shortcomings. Good news is that I know of a new book on this cross in the works. In fact, I am trying to convince the author to join us here on this forum!

Are there very many variants? i have to admit i love this medal but get really frustrated trying to identify them
    There are two main “Palestine” variants, but other variants exist. I’ll post the other main variant along with one interesting one I own as well. Stay tuned . . .

i know i have a Palestinian KW on what appears to be an original ribbon.
    The correct ribbon is white with the red stripes. He one on yours is the pre-war pattern, which has the colours reversed.

Similarly when looking at my cross it has a very light patina remiscent of brass or very old chocolate
    As per my earlier post:
    Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    . . . This particular variant is characterized by . . . the use of a light coloured brass alloy.
    This light alloy is one of the distinguishing characteristics of this particular Palestine variant.

More to come . . . but let’s see some other crosses from members collections! . . .

Regards,
    T.

Back again,

Here is the other most common “Palestine” variant. Apparently known to exist in dark bornze and also brass versions, with the former being the earlier product (Krogulec suggests maybe 1942)

Quite a bit different from the other near east made variant, and no doubtthe product of another maker.

This type is often confused with the Type 1 early Spink version (such as Gary posted) - and for good reason as they are very similar. I snapped a pic to show a side by side comparison of one of these Palestine types against an early Spink. Sorry, it turned out a tad blurry, but as you can see they are very similar in terms of detail and size. The Palestine one (on the left) is just under a millimeter larger, both are the same thickness, use similar font, suspensions, eagles and backgrounds and both develop a very similar patina with age - although that's not all too evident with my examples.

Regards,
    T.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

Hello! I love Crosses of Valour! Here are two versions, Palestinian made and english

Regards

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Yes, made on “Bliski Wschód” terrain known as Palestine at the time. As to an actual maker’s name there has been speculation that it was Rubin. Although this has never been confirmed as far as I know.

Agreed 100%. The book is certainly difficult to use, has poor pictures, and is in need of reorganizing and revision. But it remains the best reference source on this decoration, and Mr. Krogulec deserves much credit for his work in spite of the shortcomings. Good news is that I know of a new book on this cross in the works. In fact, I am trying to convince the author to join us here on this forum!

There are two main “Palestine” variants, but other variants exist. I’ll post the other main variant along with one interesting one I own as well. Stay tuned . . .

The correct ribbon is white with the red stripes. He one on yours is the pre-war pattern, which has the colours reversed.

As per my earlier post:

This light alloy is one of the distinguishing characteristics of this particular Palestine variant.

More to come . . . but let’s see some other crosses from members collections! . . .

Regards,
    T.
    Dear Tony,

Thanks very much for the brillinant information although i am disappointed that i have a non original ribbon. Could i use this ribbon on my Rozycki as pictured earlier?

Dear Tony,

Thanks very much for the brillinant information although i am disappointed that i have a non original ribbon. Could i use this ribbon on my Rozycki as pictured earlier?
    Hi Robert,

Yes, that ribbon would be correct for a pre-war issue cross. And it has a nice worn look to it, so it would be an ideal fit for your cross.

Cheers,
    T.

Quote by MichalMag View Post
    Hello! I love Crosses of Valour! Here are two versions, Palestinian made and english
    Hi Michal,

Nice crosses. The one on the right is generally considered the scarcest exile pattern (if one is to exclude the Swiss and French made variants). It is an unusual cross in several respects, but primarily because the scale of the arms relative to the center shield is well off the standard pattern. The barrel suspension is also unique to PSZnZ issues. There is some uncertainty as to when and by whom this cross was produced. Anyone who can shed some light on this please do!

Thanks for your post Michal.

T.

Hello! By according to Krogulec book this type of crosses were made in 1945 and they were awarded for AK and for september campaign in 1939. Regards

Here is a picture of my other English KW im not sure which type it is.

Quote by MichalMag View Post
    Hello! By according to Krogulec book this type of crosses were made in 1945 and they were awarded for AK and for september campaign in 1939. Regards
    Hi Michael thats very interesting, am i right in assuming then that these Kws were awarded after they were produced. I had read in Krogulec that the popint of the Kw was that it could be awarded on the spot so to speak as a battlefield distinction. A big discrepancy between 1939 and 45, what do you think?

Hello! In my opinion this KW's awarded for veterans after the war. Regards

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast