MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 24 of 45 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast

Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Article about: Dear friends, I would like to propose posting a new thread with regards to the Krzyz Waleczny or Cross of Valour. i love this medal it is a personal favourite of mine. What i hope hope to ac

Hi all,

I've been following this thread with great interest. For those in the know... any thoughts on this particular cross? It's without a date, so one of the earlier variants. It has a replacement ribbon sadly, but I would still like to own an early version.

This is a copy of the KW produced by Albin Rozycki. A genuine example kicks off this thread in post #1. For more detailed info on this variant check the parallel KW thread located in the pre-WW2 section here:

Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types

Cheers,
    Tony

P.S. for the Sabaton reference
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hello Iron Hussar,

You are quite correct in stating that the Albin Rozycki of Warsaw, produced Krzyz Walecznych is by far the most sort after with there only being 3000 awarded before the production was transfered to another Warsaw company Jan Knedler.

Unfortunately this cross is a copy originals have their numbers stamped into the metal not scratched as this has the Polish nr 7.

No doubt Tony will be able to shed some light and show you a authentic Cross with numbering.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Thanks Tony & Andrzej - the scratched number is indeed what made me uneasy, which is why I held off. Glad I did

There are plenty of other things wrong with this copy, which you’ll identify quickly after comparing to a genuine cross. Andrzej is quite right that genuine Rozycki government issue crosses are sought after. And this of course sets the stage once again for counterfeiters to exploit. Remain patient and you’ll find the right cross. In the meantime the first and wisest step is study, so check out the initial few posts on the pre-WW2 KW thread (linked in my prior post) which focus on the Rozycki.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Hello Tony

I have noticed on the forum that people provide information about Medals with numbers on e.g. the name of the recipient, rank unit etc. where do they find this information and is it possible to find the information with just the name of the recipient without the medal number? I suppose what I am really asking is how/where can I get official confirmation that my father was awarded a Cross of Valour and it's number?

Hi Jan,

This information is obtained from award records that have been published or made available to the public, such as the records contained at the Sikorski Museum in London. Portions of the list of recipients for the Krzyz Walecznych have been published in various books that focus on specific units of the Polish Armed Forces in the West. Often these are the books published by the regiment/unit shortly after the war to serve as a historical record of that particular units contribution to the war effort. These records, however, don't typically offer the award number, usually only the recipients name and rank.

Your best bet to obtain your father's official confirmation and number of his Cross of Valour would be by visiting or contacting the Sikorski Museum.

Cheers, Tony

Thanks Tony

Visiting from Australia may prove a little costly, so I have asked my sister to visit - she lives in London!

Hello Jan,

If your sister intends to visit the PISM, she will need to make a booking for the Archive Reading Room, the information is of their web site:

PISM Home Page

The Archive Reading Room is open Tuesday to Friday 9.30-4.00, the cost of copies is listed on the web site.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello,

Please could I have some opinions on this KW? I'm not sure if it is an exile one.

The detail seems a little soft, so I am wondering if this is a copy?

Many thanks

K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

Page 24 of 45 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast