Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 28 of 45 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 ... LastLast

Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Article about: Dear friends, I would like to propose posting a new thread with regards to the Krzyz Waleczny or Cross of Valour. i love this medal it is a personal favourite of mine. What i hope hope to ac

Greetings friends,

Can anyone help me identify this cross? I had though it was a Spink, but the wide spacing of the font on the back is unfamiliar to me?

Regards,

K.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

Having had a quick look through Krogulec, I am reasonably confident it is #21. The book lists the date of manufacture as simply pre-1945? Is anyone aware of anything more specific?

Hi K, this is one of many KW’s with an air of mystery surrounding it. It is sometimes called the “sans-Y serif” variant because of the missing serifs on the base of the letter Y on the right arm of the reverse side If memory serves, Mr. Krogulec does not positively ID it as a Spink in his catalogue. I do however suspect this cross to be a product of one of the Spink dies as there are just too many similarities in the details to the known Spink. Either way, the example you have pictured has a clean bill of health as far as authenticity. No worries there.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Hi K, this is one of many KW’s with an air of mystery surrounding it. It is sometimes called the “sans-Y serif” variant because of the missing serifs on the base of the letter Y on the right arm of the reverse side If memory serves, Mr. Krogulec does not positively ID it as a Spink in his catalogue. I do however suspect this cross to be a product of one of the Spink dies as there are just too many similarities in the details to the known Spink. Either way, the example you have pictured has a clean bill of health as far as authenticity. No worries there.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Many thanks as always Tony. Krogulec's book is indeed rather vague on whether this particular one is a Spink or not, but the front of the cross like you say is identical to my eyes.

Quote by Kosowski85 View Post
    . . . but the front of the cross like you say is identical to my eyes.
    Side by side comparison for the record:

Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

The only perceptible difference to me is the 2? How strange

Hi
    This is Spink?Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile TypesCross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Hi, wojtgda84!

Yes, that's right. This cross Spink production (#20 Krogulec).

Yes, Spink pattern on a modern replacement ribbon. On quick glance though I’m a bit wary of this one. The normally crisp well defined Spink details do seem a tad soft in spots. Not passing judgment quite yet, but this one does need some closer scrutiny.

Regards,
    Tony

Tony - I would agree with you!
    This version of KV – is very “crisp on details”. I doubt that Spink would have allow the cross with one leg of the eagle missing to pass the Quality Control.
    It is so sad to see KWs being “copied” – it makes me wonder what people try to achieve – because profit on this is nil given the fact it can easily be detected!

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Yes, Spink pattern on a modern replacement ribbon. On quick glance though I’m a bit wary of this one. The normally crisp well defined Spink details do seem a tad soft in spots. Not passing judgment quite yet, but this one does need some closer scrutiny.

Regards,
    Tony

Page 28 of 45 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 ... LastLast