Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Article about: Dear friends, I would like to propose posting a new thread with regards to the Krzyz Waleczny or Cross of Valour. i love this medal it is a personal favourite of mine. What i hope hope to ac

Default Re: Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Here is 3 KW I have, one of them have Legitymacja but I don’t know much about it. The middle one looks slightly bigger than the first one, but is much thinner. The last KW is smallest, and darkest, and has No 58878. Can you tell me more about thou KW since I don’t have sets for them, I don’t know if there original of fake?
    Mariusz
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

3mk
    ?

Mariusz the 2 exile ones look ok,But Im confused on the pre-war one it doesnt have the proper ribbon that ribbon is for the Cross of Merit.And the numbering looks weird to me but,Ive never handled a Cross of Valor so I cannot be sure.

Quote by MichalMag View Post
    Hello! In my opinion this KW's awarded for veterans after the war. Regards
    hi Michal are you refering to the ones you have or the one i have posted?

Quote by robert odulinski View Post
    Here is a picture of my other English KW im not sure which type it is.
    Hi Robert,

This is a British made Cross of Valour, sometimes called the Spink Type 2, although nowhere have I seen it stated that Spink was the maker. According to Krogulec this series of crosses was stamped from re-machined dies, and because of this the eagle details are distorted. And indeed you can see that the eagle is rather poorly executed in comparison to other versions of this decoration.

Another way to identify these crosses is from the small dot hovering above the tip of the sword on the reverse. See close up below. Also, these crosses are often found lacquered, as yours appears to be.

This is the most common exile issue Cross of Valour. Production ran from roughly 1943 to 1945.

Attached below is one of my examples of this cross along with its original issue packet.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

Attached Images Attached Images Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types 

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Hi Robert,

This is a British made Cross of Valour, sometimes called the Spink Type 2, although nowhere have I seen it stated that Spink was the maker. According to Krogulec this series of crosses was stamped from re-machined dies, and because of this the eagle details are distorted. And indeed you can see that the eagle is rather poorly executed in comparison to other versions of this decoration.

Another way to identify these crosses is from the small dot hovering above the tip of the sword on the reverse. See close up below. Also, these crosses are often found lacquered, as yours appears to be.

This is the most common exile issue Cross of Valour. Production ran from roughly 1943 to 1945.

Attached below is one of my examples of this cross along with its original issue packet.

Regards,
    Tony
    Dear Tony,

Thankyou for clearing that up for me this is the first medal i had ever bought as a collector. When i received it iwas disappointed thinking it was fake.
    Any ideas to whom these were awarded??
    Secondly who would have been responsible for commissioning these medals, the British govt. or the polish Govt in exile?

Thanks again really interesting

Any ideas to whom these were awarded??
    Krogulec says 1st Armoured Division and also 2nd Corps. See pic below.

Secondly who would have been responsible for commissioning these medals, the British govt. or the polish Govt in exile?
    The Polish government.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

. . .this is the first medal i had ever bought as a collector. When i received it iwas disappointed thinking it was fake.
    It's a good one. And espcially nice because it has its original issue ribbon with the safety pin fastening intact.

T.

Quote by Mariusz View Post
    Here is 3 KW I have, one of them have Legitymacja but I don’t know much about it. The middle one looks slightly bigger than the first one, but is much thinner. The last KW is smallest, and darkest, and has No 58878. Can you tell me more about thou KW since I don’t have sets for them, I don’t know if there original of fake?
    Mariusz
    Hi Mariusz,

The two that appear similar are in fact the same Near Eastern type. Both are genuine. The tips of one of them are either worn, impacted or filed off which gives the illusion that one is smaller. If you measure them you’ll find that they should be the same size. As far as the difference in thickness, this is not unusual. These crosses may have been produced a year or more apart and from different sheet metal stock.

And sorry to say, but the pre-war cross on wrong ribbon (which Emil correctly identified as belonging to the Cross of Merit) is a fake of the small pattern Knedler. These are quite deceptive, and yours truly still has the one purchased when I first started collecting. This one will be eventually covered in the pre-war Cross of Valour thread.

Regards,
    Tony

Thank You Tony now I know what I have. I did not pay for KW just got them from friends. They know I like history so it is how I got most of my stuff.
    Mariusz

Here is picture of pilots receiving KW. I have one picture of pilots receiving DFC.
    Mariusz

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast